Food Plots Newby to food plot question

FishnFed

I have received hunting permission on a couple small tracts of property in a suburban setting in Knoxville. Each lot is about 6 acres and it is surrounded by similar if not larger acreage. I'd like to plant a small food plot to attract the deer from the folks' yards and back into the woods where I'll be bow hunting. There is a small, old logging road about 50 yards long that is clear of everything except leaves and some fallen branches. It is shaded by the trees in the summer, but appears to get some light. It is not easy to access with large equipment but I could probably get a small tiller in there.

What would be my best crop to plant in this circumstance and what would be the best schedule for planting?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Regards, Wally

DoubleRidge

I have received hunting permission on a couple small tracts of property in a suburban setting in Knoxville. Each lot is about 6 acres and it is surrounded by similar if not larger acreage. I'd like to plant a small food plot to attract the deer from the folks' yards and back into the woods where I'll be bow hunting. There is a small, old logging road about 50 yards long that is clear of everything except leaves and some fallen branches. It is shaded by the trees in the summer, but appears to get some light. It is not easy to access with large equipment but I could probably get a small tiller in there.

What would be my best crop to plant in this circumstance and what would be the best schedule for planting?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Regards, Wally

Certainly wouldn't want to discourage you from planting plots to improve your hunting experience....but the width of an old logging road x 50 yards long is going to provide some challenges....but not impossible...late summer take a rake and/or leaf blower and expose soil in area...sow it heavy with wheat or oats just before a light rain....you can create a small green plot......but if I was you I'd scout the land you have permission on and find the white oaks...if no white oaks find the red oaks....keep an eye out for persimmon trees too....acorns and persimmon start falling the deer will leave the yards and go to the timber to feed....good luck hunting.

BSK

As Popcorn said, the easiest crop to grow that will draw deer in the fall is wheat and crimson clover.

Latest posts