new to duck hunting

broncohunter

I was wondering what kind of tips and tricks everybody can offer up. I was also wondering if it is legal to float down the river and shoot geese and ducks from a canoe. I would be paddling. I don't even know if it would work.

broncohunter

Yeah I have one friend that hunts but he has to work a lot. So I'm kinda going on my on. I have a canoe and thought it might work. There was a group of us that put in for the pools in west TN and one of us got drawn. I'm just trying go figure out what I can on my on. I don't have any ponds and public land for duck hunting scares me a little. That is why I thought about floating

BIGB

Location, Location, Location. If you get where the birds want to be it will seem easy. Do some scouting.

redheadshooter

Public land duck hunting can be intimidating to a newbie but there are some great opprotunities. Just remember when hunting public land, respect for other hunters goes a long way. Also, less calling will get you far also. In fact blow the heck out of the call that way I kill more ducks!!! :)

Bullfrog

redheadshooter said:
Public land duck hunting can be intimidating to a newbie but there are some great opprotunities. Just remember when hunting public land, respect for other hunters goes a long way. Also, less calling will get you far also. In fact blow the heck out of the call that way I kill more ducks!!! :)

Respect for your neighbors is a must. While less calling can sometimes hold true, the opposite also comes into play, or you'll be watching the show instead of shooting, especially being close to an evenly matched blind. In that case, you have to learn to work together, and learn when to call. Being a novice, I would only call on the corners

When decoying, learn how to hunt the wind. In most cases, you want to always be upwind of where you think the ducks willbe/come in. There'll be days when you can do no wrong, and there'll be days when you can do no right. Real estate is the main thing, no matter what. You gotta be where they at least half way want to go.

Grizzly Johnson

Bullfrog said:
Respect for your neighbors is a must. While less calling can sometimes hold true, the opposite also comes into play, or you'll be watching the show instead of shooting, especially being close to an evenly matched blind. In that case, you have to learn to work together, and learn when to call. Being a novice, I would only call on the corners

When decoying, learn how to hunt the wind. In most cases, you want to always be upwind of where you think the ducks willbe/come in. There'll be days when you can do no wrong, and there'll be days when you can do no right. Real estate is the main thing, no matter what. You gotta be where they at least half way want to go.

x2

Latest posts