New smokless savage problems

KPH

Took it to the range for the first time today. I could have gotten a better pattern with a shotgun. I had installed a Nikon scope 3-9x40 even torqued the screws to spec. I stared out at 25 yards now a 3 year old moron should do some good there but I was all over the target. I had weighed each charge of 43gr. of IMR sr4759 under 250gr. Hornady sst bullets. I don't think it is the jock on the stock for I have done this a few times. I have checked the breach plug it was tight even had the anti. seize still on it. Right now I am thinking of a bad scope witch is new. I plan on taking it off and trying the fixed sights or even swap it out with a known good one. Other than that I am lost. Am I missing anything???

ratsnakeboogy

Try backing off to 41gr of the SR4759 and knurling 5 bullets between two files. Just run them through the files a couple of times. My guess is sabot/bullet/barrel fit. The .50 can be finicky. Try this first, then we can delve further. How do the shot sabots look?

KPH

ratsnakeboogy said:
Try backing off to 41gr of the SR4759 and knurling 5 bullets between two files. Just run them through the files a couple of times. My guess is sabot/bullet/barrel fit. The .50 can be finicky. Try this first, then we can delve further. How do the shot sabots look?
Not sure what you mean by knurling. The sabot/bullet does fit loser than I would think it should.

KPH

Rubberduck270 said:
Make sure your scope is mounted solid and everything is tight. How long were you waiting between shots?
The scope is tight all screws where torqued to spec. Waited till had cool barrel maybe 5 to 10 min. had two other guns I could shoot.

KPH

Roost 1 said:
Check your front scope base make sure it's not touching barrel lug...
Also you need to wait at least 15 mins between shots and this means waiting before you load gun not just waiting between shots..
Front of scope not touching. I had waited 5-10 min. had cool barrel before loading.

ratsnakeboogy

Knurling is rolling the bullet between to large Rosie O'Donnell files. It increases the bullets diameter and also let's it "grab" the sabot. Not hard to do.

If you are using the Sabots supplied with the SST bullet that could be part of the problem. Find the sabots a few yards in front of where you shot and post a pic, that will get us on the right track.

Some Savages had a problem with the front base sitting on the recoil lug causing a issue with mounting scopes. Some also had a problem with the front base screw being to long and bottoming out on the barrel threads before tightening completely. It's hard to see, being it's only a few thousandths difference.

Find the spent sabots and we can go from there. I would also recommend harvestor sabots. I think I have an extra package you could have if we could meet in Oak Ridge one afternoon.

ratsnakeboogy

Scratch the meeting part, I thought I read Knoxville not Hendersonville.

You are close to Midsouth shooters supply though and they usually have Harvester short black sabots.

KPH

ratsnakeboogy said:
Knurling is rolling the bullet between to large Rosie O'Donnell files. It increases the bullets diameter and also let's it "grab" the sabot. Not hard to do.

If you are using the Sabots supplied with the SST bullet that could be part of the problem. Find the sabots a few yards in front of where you shot and post a pic, that will get us on the right track.

Some Savages had a problem with the front base sitting on the recoil lug causing a issue with mounting scopes. Some also had a problem with the front base screw being to long and bottoming out on the barrel threads before tightening completely. It's hard to see, being it's only a few thousandths difference.

Find the spent sabots and we can go from there. I would also recommend harvestor sabots. I think I have an extra package you could have if we could meet in Oak Ridge one afternoon.
OK I can handle the Knurling. I can't get a pic. as I am home and they are 20mi away. The one I did find had all the petals torn off except one and it was bent back. Will check that base tomorrow when I give it a cleaning.

KPH

ratsnakeboogy said:
Scratch the meeting part, I thought I read Knoxville not Hendersonville.

You are close to Midsouth shooters supply though and they usually have Harvester short black sabots.
Yea I thought when I read that but I sure do think you. I have some stuff ordered from Midsouth if I make another order I will look for them.

Latest posts