New pot call advice..

LB FANATIC

Looking for a new slate pot call this year, wanted some advice. Leaning towards a cedar pot over slate. Will prob spend around $40 or so. I have never owned any call other than from a big box store,and have not used anything other than slate (which I think I prefer) The metal,glass and comp. pots all sound unrealistic to me, but then again, Im not a turkey.

What do you recommend and why ?

Thanks

Southern Sportsman

If you told me I could only have one pot-style call, first I would freak out, and second I would begrudgingly select a slate surface over glass, or a ceramic surface over glass. I have a glass and aluminum and really like both of them. The glass can get loud, and can make really sharp cuts and yelps -- great for striking distant birds and for calling on windy days. Slate or ceramic are not going to be as loud, but they can do everything. They are especially good for soft clucks, purrs and yelps and "tree yelps" which are probably the most common calls used to actually work a bird.

Probably the most well known ceramic call was the Knight and Hale "Old Yeller" (they called it "slatek") which was good when it first came out. After K&H sold out, pretty much all of their calls went to Sh*t (my humble opinion). I've had this call for a few months and love it. If I could only take one, it would be this one:
http://store.1upgamecalls.com/index.php ... duct_id=53

The guy that makes these calls was elite staff for K&H years ago and had a hand in the production of the Old Yeller.

Boll Weevil

I'm sure everyone has their fave but in that $40 price range Cody pots are tough to beat for realism. It'll take a while to condition it properly, but once broken in it's honestly very difficult to discern from real birds.

Another thing to think about is good strikers; rasp, pitch, tone, volume, clarity can be totally completely different from striker to striker. Sometimes the striker that comes with the call isn't at all the best sounding.

BigCountry71

Roberts Brothers. Hands down my favorite call. Sweet sounding I have three different strikers for it. Hickory,rose wood, and aluminum. Each one is pre marked for the sweet spot and that's the only area to be used on the call. The strikers have their own conditioning stone on the top of them. Makes it always there to use. No more looking around for sandpaper or scuff pads to use.

TnTurk

BigCountry71 said:
Roberts Brothers. Hands down my favorite call. Sweet sounding I have three different strikers for it. Hickory,rose wood, and aluminum. Each one is pre marked for the sweet spot and that's the only area to be used on the call. The strikers have their own conditioning stone on the top of them. Makes it always there to use. No more looking around for sandpaper or scuff pads to use.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Latest posts