New Member - Looking for Help

Hello members - I look forward to finding all these forums full of great information! I grew up in Hardeman Co. hunting a 160 acre "farm" that my father owned. The land means a lot of me for many reasons and I would like my son to experience the joy of deer and turkey hunting the way I did and create his own memories. My son and I make the trip from GA at least once per year for late season deer hunting (high school football season gets in the way of more trips) but the property isn't in the "hunting" condition is was 20-30 years ago when I was a kid.

My father cut the timber back in 1996 and the forestry department gave him loblolly pine to replant. He hired the labor for the planting and got that done but the problem is when they replanted, they planted the pines covering all the fields and roads that ran through the property.

I've been looking in the Jackson area for clearing companies to help restore the fields and roads into somewhat original locations and conditions. I've found a few companies but now the problem is access to the property to get their equipment in. There is a public road that they can use to access but the land owners that own the property on both sides of the public road have a locked gate blocking access. I am 99% sure the landowner leases the property to a hunting club and they are the one's who put up the gate. I know who the owner is and have attempted to contact her but every phone number I find on the internet is disconnected. I have also written her a letter with no response.

My father passed away 3 years ago and my mother passed in September so I now own this property and would like to get the clearing work done this summer in time for fall deer season. But I can't get access to locked the gate and don't know who to contact.

It's a public road so legally they have to give me a key to the gate correct? Do I have a right to cut the lock off? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated and since my son and I are very limited in how often we can get out there, there is a possibility I could grant hunting access. Sorry for the long introduction and thank you for any responses!

Huntaholic

IF its a public road, they cant legally lock it. TEAR IT DOWN. If its an easement that you have in writing to your property, again, TEAR IT DOWN. Even if you are "landlocked" in the state of TN somebody HAS to give you access. Thats up to the judge to decide. Sorry you are having to deal with this, but people tend to push those who will let them. Why wouldnt they? If they can buffalo you into letting them do it then they have full use of your property as well as theirs. As a logger, I run into these issues from time to time.

ttf909

Hello members - I look forward to finding all these forums full of great information! I grew up in Hardeman Co. hunting a 160 acre "farm" that my father owned. The land means a lot of me for many reasons and I would like my son to experience the joy of deer and turkey hunting the way I did and create his own memories. My son and I make the trip from GA at least once per year for late season deer hunting (high school football season gets in the way of more trips) but the property isn't in the "hunting" condition is was 20-30 years ago when I was a kid.

My father cut the timber back in 1996 and the forestry department gave him loblolly pine to replant. He hired the labor for the planting and got that done but the problem is when they replanted, they planted the pines covering all the fields and roads that ran through the property.

I've been looking in the Jackson area for clearing companies to help restore the fields and roads into somewhat original locations and conditions. I've found a few companies but now the problem is access to the property to get their equipment in. There is a public road that they can use to access but the land owners that own the property on both sides of the public road have a locked gate blocking access. I am 99% sure the landowner leases the property to a hunting club and they are the one's who put up the gate. I know who the owner is and have attempted to contact her but every phone number I find on the internet is disconnected. I have also written her a letter with no response.

My father passed away 3 years ago and my mother passed in September so I now own this property and would like to get the clearing work done this summer in time for fall deer season. But I can't get access to locked the gate and don't know who to contact.

It's a public road so legally they have to give me a key to the gate correct? Do I have a right to cut the lock off? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated and since my son and I are very limited in how often we can get out there, there is a possibility I could grant hunting access. Sorry for the long introduction and thank you for any responses!
If I have a deed that clearly show my deeded access I'm cutting the chain and attaching my lock to theirs .

DoubleRidge

If I have a deed that clearly show my deeded access I'm cutting the chain and attaching my lock to theirs .
^this^

If you have legal easement to your property blocked by a locked gate cut the chain and add your lock.....nothing wrong with someone having a locked gate on their property....but they have to give you access to your property if the easement is documented.

Good luck on your project....working on the habitat and seeing wildlife react is very rewarding.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Appreciate all the responses and welcomes - hopefully we can get this worked out.
Before cutting the lock and starting a battle that will have no winners. Send a Registered letter to the person you are attempting to communicate with. Neighboring land owners can be your best watch dogs or your worst nightmare when a land owner lives out of state. I would make every reasonable attempt to establish a good relationship with the neighbors. It may not be easy but just 1 to keep and eye on things when you're not around will be priceless.

Chickenrig

Welcome to the best camp fire on the web
Pull up a comfy chair and get ready to laugh,cry, enjoy and disagree along the way!!!
I have never met anyone on here but i feel like family . Great intro btw.
Hope these fine (used loosely) can help

rifle02

Welcome to the forum!

Latest posts