New member introduction, Rutherford County native

rickystyx

2-Step Enabled
Good day, everyone. I'm excited to get plugged in here and learn more about deer hunting for myself and also have an outlet to spend outdoor time with my children as they get older. I'm relatively new to the sport and still looking for my first harvest. So far I've been out with my father-in-law in Williamson County during rifle season the past few years. I use a ground blind, and have no interest in climbing stands. I'm hesitant to use public land for safety concerns but hear the Cheatham WMA is big enough to avoid seeing spots of orange everywhere. Hopefully there are some here who frequent this area and can provide some guidance!

Nice to meet all of you,
Ricky

philsanchez76

Welcome! Not gonna sugar coat it for ya, cheatham is a TOUGH one for a beginner hunter. Lower deer numbers and very the tough terrain compared to WMAs in Rutherford and Maury county for example. Good luck!

rickystyx

2-Step Enabled
Welcome! Not gonna sugar coat it for ya, cheatham is a TOUGH one for a beginner hunter. Lower deer numbers and very the tough terrain compared to WMAs in Rutherford and Maury county for example. Good luck!
Thank you. I live in Rutherford County, so it would be great to find a go-to spot that isn't overly crowded during rifle season, late November through the end of deer season. Any thoughts on the existence of such a place? Maury County would be fine too! Is the "Yanahli" area worth investigating? http://www.eregulations.com/tennessee/hunting/region-ii/#yana
Specifically, this entrance: https://goo.gl/maps/bvzcvC7W9AW8Eg7T7

Last edited:

philsanchez76

I only hunt Percy Priest to this point (which is shotgun only during rifle season), but have heard Yanahli is great. The last week of November is always crowded, but December the pressure usually slows down a lot (hopefully this year too, but not 100% sure with Covid). Those 2 WMAs always produce some of the highest deer numbers every year. And I checked out your coordinate and heck yeah that looks like a great piece of habitat to start scouting!

rickystyx

2-Step Enabled
I only hunt Percy Priest to this point (which is shotgun only during rifle season), but have heard Yanahli is great. The last week of November is always crowded, but December the pressure usually slows down a lot (hopefully this year too, but not 100% sure with Covid). Those 2 WMAs always produce some of the highest deer numbers every year. And I checked out your coordinate and heck yeah that looks like a great piece of habitat to start scouting!
This is great information. What's your opinion on using ground blinds in public hunting land? Is that insane regarding safety?

philsanchez76

There's always risk involved. But I've definitely hunted from the ground. Don't think I'd hunt a field edge that way. It's all about the spot- there are some spots that are so thick or remote or overlooked that likelihood of someone walking in on you is lower.

Latest posts