New deer rifle

AM84

So, I have the itch to purchase a new deer hunting rifle. I haven't hunted at all in several years. The primary gun I was using and still have is a Browning A-Bolt Mountain Ti in .270 WSM. It shoots exceptionally with some hand loads and is nice and light. I have no real reason to get something different I just want to.

So, I'm looking at the new Brownings that were SHOT specials. Specifically the x bolt mountain pro. If not one of those then maybe a Nosler rifle or Christensen. I want something light weight.

I can't decide on caliber between a .28/.30 Nosler or a .300 WSM if I can get the Browning I want. I have no experience with the Nosler rounds. I have another gun chambered in 300 WSM though Im not in love with it (the gun not the caliber). If I went with a Nosler rifle or Christensen then the choice for caliber opens up a little to 27/26 Nosler amongst others.

I don't shoot long distances (will never shoot more than 400 yards and mostly will never shoot more than 150 yards 99% of the time) where I hunt and have no plans to be anywhere where I would. Due to shorter barrel and weight/ease of handling, I'm leaning the way of the .300 WSM but let's hear your opinions on the Nosler round and if/why I should pick it.

At the end of the day I know these may be a bit overkill but the Browning is chambered in a couple different 6.5's and then jumps straight to 7Mag and up.

Last edited:

AM84

The Christensen Mesa TI is an incredible value for what you get. A Ti action and barrel alone would close close to what the rifle costs.
That was the Christensen I was looking at and considering from them. If I went with that rifle it would likely be the .308 since they offer it.

rodeojoe

I just picked up a Kimber 84 in .308 Winchester last Friday. It is superlight with a 22" barrel. It is not a Titanium, but it is coated Stainless steel. It seems a lot lighter than my Weatherby lightweight that I now use. I handload .308 already so I went with a new .308 for that reason.

AM84

I just picked up a Kimber 84 in .308 Winchester last Friday. It is superlight with a 22" barrel. It is not a Titanium, but it is coated Stainless steel. It seems a lot lighter than my Weatherby lightweight that I now use. I handload .308 already so I went with a new .308 for that reason.
Nice!

the Kimbers are nice guns. I've shot an 84 Montana quite a bit in .308 and I like it.

Another I came across last night while looking is the Weatherby Backcountry. That thing is stupid light in the 4-5 lbs range. I've never shot a rifle lighter than my a-bolt Ti or the Kimber but that may be pushing it almost being too light.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
The Noslers are barrel burners and if your shots are 400 and less, they are overkill. Nosler ammo, when you can find it, is quite spendy also. I just bought a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in 308. You wouldn't be going wrong with that choice.

AM84

I think I have pretty much decided to just go with a .300 Win Mag. Will be a nice compliment to the 270WSM I already have and allow me to hunt nearly anything I want to. I haven't bought a rifle yet, waiting to see if the local dealer ever gets one of the Browning Mountain Pro rifles in stock.

Thanks for the suggestions!

AM84

I ended up buying a .300 win mag Christensen ridge line. Hopefully it shoots as good as it looks!
939206DC-0523-4AEF-AD5B-99E60F332F3A.jpeg

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Good choice. I have a 6.5 PRC....and I haven't shot it yet:rolleyes:

Which recoil pad is on yours? Mine didnt have their new one as they were having supply problems from Pachmayr ( I think that's who their supplier is )

AM84

To tell you the truth about the recoil pad I don't know. I'm working night shift but I will check it out tomorrow.

Now to pick some optics for it. I've been looking at Zeiss (conquest), Swarovski z5/z6 and the VX5-HD and VX6-HD. I can't make up my mind.

DaveB

Nosler Book max load IMR7828 behind 180 Partitions lit off by Fed215M.

Don't know your COL but my Browning is sufficient to allow only one in the chamber and another on top of the mag. Makes it a mostly single shot rifle and the good news is you wont need a second shot.

Congrats on a very nice rifle.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I put a Zeiss V4 6-24x50 on mine. Almost did a Nightforce but tried to stay somewhat light.

Latest posts