new bow

eddie c

I have a buddy that loaned me his bow for a test drive a year ago. this is the same bow I used to shoot my Texas turkey. I was suppose to shoot a whitetail with it but I missed my chance. all the time I've had his bow, he was in the process of making me one just like it. Due to health issues with him and his lovely wife along with working, he has been working on it when he could. this whole time he has trusted me with his 'go to' bow. I told him before he ships me my bow, I wanted him to shoot a pig with it. he shot 2 and the camera batteries were dead on the first one.
Well, friday while I was in Nashville getting some serious eye surgery done, the bow arrived in the mail. my daughter texted me,'It's here'. :D Saturday morning the doctor tells me I'm on light duty for 2 weeks. :cry: bummer, I can't shoot the bow for 2 weeks. :cry: But at least i can look at her. :)
the working limbs are red elm, riser is East Indain Rosewood. limbs have rattler skins from OK. bow was made in Hawaii.
P7260005.jpg

P7260006.jpg

P7260007.jpg

P7260008.jpg

I cant string her yet but i can tell she has the same sweet curves as her older sister.
P7260004.jpg

Pursuit Hunter

Sweet bow. I bet you are chomping at the bit to let one fly. That would be torture...

Does it tear up the snakeskin to drop the string loop over the upper limb? Been thinking about adding snakeskin to my recurve and was just wondering about that.

eddie c

Pursuit Hunter said:
Sweet bow. I bet you are chomping at the bit to let one fly. That would be torture...

Does it tear up the snakeskin to drop the string loop over the upper limb? Been thinking about adding snakeskin to my recurve and was just wondering about that.

just like Phil said, they stop before the string groove.
P7260009.jpg

Pursuit Hunter

eddie c said:
Pursuit Hunter said:

just like Phil said, they stop before the string groove.
P7260009.jpg
That is one pretty bow!

When you unstring it, it looks like the string loop would slide down over where there is snakeskin (on my bow it slides down about 4") before all the tension is released. I didn't ask the question well, but that was what I was wondering about.

eddie c

with my stringer, all the tension is off the string before i slide my loop down. even if I do the step-thru method, I dont see string tension on the skin. so I'm not sure how you are releasing your string tension but the only way I see string tension being an issue is the method where the limb tip is placed under the arch of the foot and the string is slid down the limb wiht one hand while pulling on the riser with the other hand.

Pursuit Hunter

eddie c said:
with my stringer, all the tension is off the string before i slide my loop down. even if I do the step-thru method, I dont see string tension on the skin. so I'm not sure how you are releasing your string tension but the only way I see string tension being an issue is the method where the limb tip is placed under the arch of the foot and the string is slid down the limb wiht one hand while pulling on the riser with the other hand.
It's not really the string tension, but the tightness of the string loop around the limb. I shoot a recurve with pretty wide limbs and when I slide the string loop down the limb towards the grip when I unstring it the loop gets pretty tight around the limb. Could be that the string I'm using (a 3 Rivers Flemish Twist) just has small loops. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

Phil Floyd

Various string makers will make your loop pretty much any size you need. The tightness you are referring to will not hurt anything unless it is very tight. In that case you might need a little bit larger top loop. You don't want the top loop so big that it could come unstrung when you shoot.

eddie c

Doc released me from light duty today. second thing I did when I got home was string the bow. (first thing was kiss my wife). my eye is still blurry from the surgery 12 days ago so I was having trouble focusing on a spot.
10 steps, 4 arrows- 2 different spines and weights, 4 shots, 1st shots I've taken out of this bow.
P8020001.jpg

profile pics. first pic both bows on the same pegs. second pic mine bow on top, the bowyer's bow on bottom. I've had his bow since last year.
P8020003.jpg

P8020005.jpg

Latest posts