Never Owned One of These

kamml

I bit the bullet and ordered a new Browning BAR Safari in 270 Win. Never owned any Browning of any sort. I had a new Rem 7400 30:06 for a while back in the 90 as far as auto center fires go. I tried to handload for it and never found the sweet spot load wise, plus the magazine was finicky as all get out. I gave up on it and sold it off after about 2 months. Don't regret that move. I went online looking for 270 ammo this afternoon and Midway and the Optics Planet were the only stores that had any at a reasonable price. I am going to need small base dies to reload and they are scarce as hens teeth right now too. I have plenty of cases, primers and bullets, but just standard 270 dies. It may end up a safe queen but we will see.

mike243

I have never shot a Bar but have always liked the looks, I would like to have 1 in the 270 wsm , ballistics' look great. hope yours is easy to load for

kamml

People's reviews say thay are good and bad. Each rifle is unique. The 7400 was a dog. I hope the BAR turns out better this time. I have a Tika in 300 WSM. The rifle is a great shooter but it is expensive to operate, even reloads are pricey since it uses so much powder.

Union Co. Boy

I have 3 BAR's. All 3 are extremely accurate. Also, all 3 love the good old Remington Core Lokt ammo! I've taken a pile of deer with these guns and have zero complaints with them. The 30-06 is actually my dad's who isn't able to hunt anymore and I killed my first deer with it. The other two are 7mm magnums. One is wood and blue and took my whole first paycheck as a teacher. The other has the Dura-Touch finish. I got it because I couldn't stand scratching my wood and blue model anymore. Lol. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed.
One tip: Always pull the bolt back and let it go. Do not try to ease it closed when clambering a round. The lugs may not lock and it will not fire.

TnTurk

Bought my first rifle in 1985 when I turned 18. A Browning BAR in a .270. Unofficially retired it about 5 years ago when I acquired a Winchester model 70 in the same caliber. Great rifle and great accuracy. As my daddy used to say, "that dog will hunt".

DaveB

I loaded for and shot a 308 BAR. I had some preconceived notions going in because hey, its a semi auto cannot get accurate lockup.

Lockup is like a freaking bank vault. Accurate and as a side benefit it was a dang pretty rifle.

The 270 (try 130 gr Nosler stuff) is an accurate caliber and your results should support that.

The SB dies are of use where the brass may have been through a semi-auto (not yours) with a loose chamber. Pretty much not necessary right now.

Congratulations on a fine Rifle.

rodeojoe

I have had about 5 BAR's over the years. They all shot good, cycled good. Had 4 in 300WM and 1 in 30.06.
Hey, I just like to trade guns, it is cheaper than trading wives.
If you ever buy a well used one and it shoots only fair, just scrub the copper out of the barrel. After all it is a Browning.

kamml

I finally shot my new BAR this week. Two shots to bulls. One at 25 yds then another at 100. yds right out of the box. I added the Browning rings, and a new Vortex scope, and took her to the range. Never had that happen before. It's a good 1" inch of deer at 100yds and that's good enough for me. But I probably will never hunt with this one. It's just too pretty, it's got the tiger striping through the buttstock that's just gorgeous with some matching figure on the forestock so I intend to keep it a safe queen. I will take a picture and post it one of these days.

Swampster

I loaded for and shot a 308 BAR. I had some preconceived notions going in because hey, its a semi auto cannot get accurate lockup.

Lockup is like a freaking bank vault. Accurate and as a side benefit it was a dang pretty rifle.

The 270 (try 130 gr Nosler stuff) is an accurate caliber and your results should support that.

The SB dies are of use where the brass may have been through a semi-auto (not yours) with a loose chamber. Pretty much not necessary right now.

Congratulations on a fine Rifle.
I find my 308 semi to be pretty danged consistent too. After shooting, the brass is even all in one little pile. After shooting this for six months, I ended up putting my other centerfire rifles away.

Attachments

• REC10_308.JPG
    REC10_308.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 35

wsm

My cuz had BAR in 7 mag .and loved that gun ,very good looking rifle and shot great with 180 corlokt .Then house was broke in to and BAR was gone .

GreyGoose

Got a new Bar 3 Stalker 30-06 for my son from a member here last year .Long story short he passed for something else so I now have got some range time here recently with my new favorite rifle.No complaints and itching at the bit to get a kill with this gun

Latest posts