Nesting?

ImThere

Stole this pic but it could be in middle Tn with all the rain!
9eb090e8bf9e1486ba711051ff1169f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Re: Nesting?

I can see catman sneaking up behind it in his boat, oar in hand ready to smack him upside the head!

Seriously, I'm amazed at wild critters. A turkey swimming doesn't cross my imagination while I'm thinking about them. Neither does a deer, which I've seen more than once swim a large body of water.

Southern Sportsman

I've never seen a turkey swim, but while duck hunting I have seen a whole flock wade into a flooded field over thigh deep and eat milo grain off the head.

As AT referenced I have always been amazed at how well deer can swim with such skinny legs.

fairchaser

They are incredibly adaptable. I've never seen a land bird swim like a goose. I think I would have lost that bet.

Boll Weevil

As a boy, my turkey hunting mentor told me to put some thought into where it's best to set up on a bird if water is involved. "A creek, pond, ditch, slough, or puddle will make'em hang up every time" he advised. WRONG. I've found that in areas with lots of water, swampy, sloughs and such they won't hesitate to get their feet wet or fly. Never seen one swim but have seen countless birds wade 6-10" deep standing water.

ImThere

AT Hiker":o0vbves9 said:
I can see catman sneaking up behind it in his boat, oar in hand ready to smack him upside the head!

Seriously, I'm amazed at wild critters. A turkey swimming doesn't cross my imagination while I'm thinking about them. Neither does a deer, which I've seen more than once swim a large body of water.

Nah he would try o grab it by the neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheLBLman

Boll Weevil":2fa5zlx2 said:
As a boy, my turkey hunting mentor told me to put some thought into where it's best to set up on a bird if water is involved. "A creek, pond, ditch, slough, or puddle will make'em hang up every time" he advised. WRONG. I've found that in areas with lots of water, swampy, sloughs and such they won't hesitate to get their feet wet or fly.
Both turkeys & deer that spend most their lives around about as much water as land will typically not "go around" water, assuming it's only water between them and where they want to go. They are VERY adaptable.

I've seen turkeys fly across a couple hundred yards of open water just to go to roost, then fly back across it the next morning to spend the day.

But I've never seen a turkey swimming like a duck, or a deer.

Andy S.

I shared the first video years ago. Not my video, but pretty cool nonetheless.

[youtube]ngi7JAM6tgM[/youtube]

And another.

[youtube]EhLVDjqdv4o[/youtube]