Need some tips!

Omega

Welcome, glad to see women like yourself show interest in hunting, I know they exist, but it's refreshing to see. Tips? Yea, don't have any that come to mind at the moment except to get out there and hunt. But ask questions, there are many on here that would gladly answer as best as they can.

Safari Hunt

Welcome. FWIW, our local library has several books on deer hunting. Might be a start. Women is the fastest growing segment in the outdoor sports. I read of a group of ladies in the upper Midwest who had their own dogs, shotguns, etc. and met regularly for pheasant hunting. I know of a lady who has taken the Big Five in Africa with a bow!

Bad Company

Hi janedoekiller68, I have a tip for you. Instead of just tagging along with dad. Try letting him know that you're ready to move to the next step and be more serious about your hunting. Ask him questions! My daughter at age 24 has just recently shown interest in hunting, and I'm doing everything I can to help her get started, that's what dads do...
Good Luck!

philsanchez76

Best tip I got a few years back was scout way more than you hunt. Like scout 75% to 25% hunting. Just hike silently through the woods and try to bump deer. You begin to learn where they are and why they are there at that time. You then draw on this knowledge when it's actually time to hunt. Hope that makes some sense. Welcome.

bwgarrett3

Welcome! Like others have said, you will learn quite a bit just by continually reading on this site. Also, there are plenty of good people on here who will answer any questions you have. Just ask. I'm on the other end of the state so my hunting is most likely a bit different from yours.

MarlinSlayer

Hey y'all! I'm 20 and from West Tn. I've been deer hunting for a while now but I'm usually tagging along with my Dad and don't know a whole lot about it. I'm wanting to get serious and figured this would be a great place for me to get some info/tips!
This beautiful young woman is my daughter! I am so proud of her!

Hduke86

Best tip I got a few years back was scout way more than you hunt. Like scout 75% to 25% hunting. Just hike silently through the woods and try to bump deer. You begin to learn where they are and why they are there at that time. You then draw on this knowledge when it's actually time to hunt. Hope that makes some sense. Welcome.
This is my strategy most of the time. I enjoy scouting as much as I do the actual hunting part. Identify acorn trees and look for sign of feeding and how heavy they're feeding on them. Follow trails that lead from those trees or area of trees and see if you can find bedding cover. After season walk, walk , and walk some more and identify areas of rubs or scrapes. A great tool is OnX so you can mark all the sign and locations for later use.

Huntaholic

This beautiful young woman is my daughter! I am so proud of her!
Good job Dad! Actually learning to hunt is something that cant be taught from a book or reading online, not really. Its more of an instinct that comes from experiences and filing those away to use in the future. People ask me all the time, "why put a stand here?" "how did you know that turkey was going to do that?" I cant put that stuff into words, its more of an instinct. However after they ask me that I can usually stop and walk them through the process. If Dad, youre successful at hunting, get that young lady in the woods and walk her through the whole setups, decisions, etc... that tell you to hunt a spot, make a move, etc.... She needs to learn this stuff for herself. I took my sons with me everywhere I went from the time they were big enough to go and now they are both grown men, men with the knowledge and ability to be successful at hunting anything anywhere. Id put them up against anybody when it comes to being able to make things happen. It takes time to get to that point and we never stop learning.

Safari Hunt

Huntaholic, I agree that OTJ training si great but there can be a starting point. Got a book on turkey hunting from t he library as a springboard. Now that the TN deer season is over, I plan on being in the woods for small game and scouting for spring turkey and deer for the fall. Life interrupted the early deer season for 2020.

Latest posts