need help with cape patch options...

TNBillyEarl

So, I killed a very large deer this week. When skinning and cleaning him, I didn't leave enough cape around the sternum of the deer. I was about 4# short up and down and 6# across. My taxidermist isn't thrilled with sewing in other parts of the cape or using another animal. He's a perfectionist. And it would be hard to get another cape the size of my deer.

My question is this - is there something else one could use to patch this part? Certainly others have done what I have done? Maybe some leather? Something artsy? I never thought I would get a deer mounted and now it won't be "perfect". Please advise...

TNBillyEarl

AT Hiker

Well, he could design something that covers up the missing parts. Something that would be incorporated into the mount, like drift wood and leaves. However, that will be a very pricey option and likely be just to much going on. Maybe a pedestal attached at the missing cape area, like the deer "coming out of a tree". Once again, very pricey and you probably will not be happy with it.
Getting a new cape is easy, jut have to be willing to spend the money. I would fork over the money for a new cape. I can assure you a new cape can be found, might not be what you want to spend but they are out there.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImThere

Some one posted a pic with the American flag on the back side of the deer that looked perfect for a situation like this.

WG Taxidermist

AT Hiker":2ybt8ww8 said:
Well, he could design something that covers up the missing parts. Something that would be incorporated into the mount, like drift wood and leaves. However, that will be a very pricey option and likely be just to much going on. Maybe a pedestal attached at the missing cape area, like the deer "coming out of a tree". Once again, very pricey and you probably will not be happy with it.
Getting a new cape is easy, jut have to be willing to spend the money. I would fork over the money for a new cape. I can assure you a new cape can be found, might not be what you want to spend but they are out there.
Good luck

X2! This is great advice. There are several places to buy capes. Get the right size cape and mount the deer the way you want to.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

TNBillyEarl

OK - thank you for the suggestions. I looked at capes out there... It's not easy getting one the color of my deer. The capes the size I need are from the Midwest and West and they just won't do it for me. And his old face is just too good to switch out. I like the idea of putting a TN flag (the three stars) in there. But that is going to have to look spot on perfect. Any other options? I have until early spring before a decision is needed. Again, thanks.

TNBillyEarl

PS - And if you have anywhere I should look for capes specifically let me know.

huntintn

This
8eac02ff4f123df0cd5b713da011403d.jpg

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Latest posts