Need Help ID'ing Some Stuff (PICS)

Howa

I've got some stuff I've had in a box since my Grandaddy died about 8 years ago. Most of the arrowheads were picked up by him in Montgomery County over years of farming. The other stuff, I don't know what it is but believe it mostly came from a Great Uncle who picked the stuff up over around Tullahoma. Any info about what it is, etc would be much appreciated.

Artifact #1 almost looks like a type of pipe or something, it's hollow inside, but it looks like rock to me.
DSC00607.jpg

DSC00608.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

#'s 2 &3 are some kind of a bowl or something.
DSC00605.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

DSC00611.jpg

#'s 4&5 are definately pipes of some type. Are these Indian or are they Civil War Era?
DSC00610.jpg

DSC00612.jpg

So this post isn't too big, I'm gonna make another thread with the rest. Thanks.

Cuttin Caller

Staff member
CATCHDAWG said:
First pic is probally a pipe pre-form (unfinished). The bowls, judgeing by the color inside may have been used to mix hematite (paint).

Like facial paint?

Camp

CATCHDAWG said:
First pic is probally a pipe pre-form (unfinished). The bowls, judgeing by the color inside may have been used to mix hematite (paint).

Artifact#1....I wonder about it being a stone pipe....would really need to see and feel. Could be unfinished pipe but I question only the inside cavity. It appears to get larger and open up inside like pottery. I haven't seen alot of pipes but those I did see had relatively even diameter drill holes all the way. It would be difficult to start a small hole and open it up larger inside to make a large hollow that appears to contour to the exterior shape instead of a drilled hole of consistent diameter. Could be. I just haven't seen that many.

Latest posts