need a little help with my dog

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
ok training my first duck dog so could use a little help.so i got one of Jay B last litter pups and man is she smart so right now she is 8months and she does everything im wanting her to all she has ever knew was waterfowl sent on a retrieve so my question is would it mess her up if i tried to get her to track deer off of blood? she has a great nose because i inject scent in her bumpers and throw them at night and she has yet not to find one in a timely manner dont want to mess her up because she is doing so well.
Here is Bella

photobucket-7106-1360106560597_zps7aec4803.jpg

rebs1

I have put my lab on a blood trail several times. He followed it with no problems. It has never affected his duck hunting.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
rebs1 said:
I have put my lab on a blood trail several times. He followed it with no problems. It has never affected his duck hunting.
thanks for the help i didnt think it would hurt nothing but im new at this dog training and didnt want to go backwards want to keep pushing her forward

Kevin

I will give you a direct review. I got my pup from Jay B as well. she has done wonderful retrieving, as well as trailing deer.

I KNOW it will not hurt her at all. Pepper had never been around a deer in her life, I took her when i couldnt find any blood or hair or deer and she went right to blood, about 75 yards from where the shot was. Was on the blood the entire time, for about 400 yards, untill it completely dried. She is natural at it, running circles, until she finds the next spot.

PS, your pup looks EXACTLY like pepper!

JB has a wonderful line of dogs, and about this time next year I am going to continue it!

Hollar Hunter

You'll have no problem. The dog will learn to associate what it's suppose to do by what you do. In other words if you put a vest on her every time she goes duck hunting she'll know when that vest goes on she'll be looking to retrieve ducks. Same thing with water. When she sees water she'll associate that with duck hunting. When you shoot over her she'll associate that to duck retrieving. Labs are very smart and quick learners of your habits even ones your not aware of. When you start teaching her to blood trail just use different terminology and release commands. Any well bred lab should be able to learn both. It's all on reward incentives and their eagerness to please their master. Give her fresh deer meat from her finds and she'll turn into a tracking machine so fast it'll make your head spin!