Neck roast

Ladys man

The wife and I are not big on roast so I thought about trying to smoke it. But what's some good ways to cook this. Probably 7-10lb with the bone in.
Came off deer I got in bow season so it will have to thaw first. But not sure how to cook it.

Trapper John

I've never smoked one and off the top of my head I don't know how I'd go about that, but I'm certain it could be done and be excellent. Lots of connective tissue in the neck so I usually braise it. It's great in stews as well. I typically de-bone it, flour and fry the pieces, then slow cook those pieces in a sauce or gravy until it shreds. It makes a great pasta sauce. I use the neck to make imitation osso buco when I don't have shanks.

If I were to smoke one I'd probably put on some rub, smoke it enough to get some flavor on it, then wrap it up and let it slow cook until it falls apart or finish it in the oven sealed up with some stock or broth until it shreds easily.

batten_down

Never smoked one. But it's one of my favorite cuts, and often overlooked by many. Whatever you end up doing, let us know how it turns out.

WTM

you can smoke it for a couple of hours and finish it by braising. itll pick up some smokiness without drying out.

ive gotten to where i debone the necks and if you do it right, you end up with a flat piece of meat that makes a rolled roast very nicely.

i saw on meateater a dude that used a belly to make a rouladen. i thought to myself, this would probably be awesome using neck meat. brown or smoked over open fire then braised until done.

TAFKAP

One very overlooked part about dryed out meat is the lack of preparation going into the cooking process. Season it well at least a day beforehand. Brining will help moisture retention, and will resist drying out much better. Use a kitchen scale to verify your meat weight. Then weigh out your salt and brown sugar. The sugar doesn't sweeten the meat, but is a key part of the brining process. No need to submerge for a wet brine. Just mix your salt, sugar, & seasonings and apply to the whole roast. Flip it over a few times in a day or so to ensure good contact, and cover in plastic wrap so that the extracted liquid doesn't evaporate.

(1.5% salt) = meat weight x 0.015
(1.0% brown sugar) = meat weight x 0.01

For your weights, it's easiest to work in Grams vs. Pounds/Ounces. Garlic powder and black pepper will be a good addition to any brine as well, so use about 10g in your brine.

BamaProud

It is one of my favorite cuts too. I saw it into thin slabs and make it into a stew. The connective tissue breaks down and makes an amazing base.
Go buy a hacksaw from the hardware store and saw it while it is still frozen.

Latest posts