Navy/Memphis

moondawg

While everyone was all about Bama/LSU, I went to the Navy/Memphis game. Ok, it's not as prestigious a game as the Bama/LSU...but it was also a divisional matchup between two VERY good teams. Navy only had one loss and Memphis was UNDEFEATED. Until last night. :(

Navy ran ALL OVER Memphis last night. Right, left, up the middle over, under...you name it. Navy only threw THREE passes in the entire first half. Two of them were in the last minute of the half. Otherwise, they were a running juggernaut. They had formations I've never seen...mainly because I'm so used to pro style football. They lined up in what looked like a U formation...and from looking it up, they run the Triple Option. A LOT. Navy ran 374 yards and had something like 87 yards passing in the whole game.

Memphis put up a good game as they could, but I think the Navy was just something different for them. I don't think Memphis knew how to defend against Navy's running game. Certainly made me have a new respect for Navy, in the fact that they played a different style of football than I was expecting.

Zulu

Yep, I'm afraid I called this one. Memphis has been fairly weak against the run all year, and one week just isn't enough to prep for the option. Plus, the triple option eats up a lot of clock, which keeps the opposing offense (Memphis' strength) off the field. I still hope that the Tigers can knock off either Houston or Temple and end up with a higher tier bowl game.

Jon54

My comment has nothing to do about any of our (Memphis) players specifically but the entrance requirements to get into the Naval Academy is way above what it takes to be a Tiger. Plus, the Midshipmen are training to be soldiers. So they get very smart players and put together a scheme that must be run to precision and they are simply tough. They gave Notre Dame all they wanted to lose at the end.

We'll see what the Tigers have next week.