Mysterious deer infection, please look

Dumbluck

Hey everyone. I have had a mysterious problem happening on one farm that I can't figure out. I need your help.

We have been seeing deer with injured ankles almost like they are getting them caught in a snare or something. The wound gets infected and kills them. We had to put down one of our good younger bucks yesterday morning because of it and I just talked to a neighbor and he had to do the samething yesterday as well. I've seen 2 other bucks and 2 does this year with the same injury. Last year we lost our best up and coming buck to this issue as well. So I think it's safe to say we are losing a good number of deer to this, since we actually know of this many active cases.

Photos are attached of yesterday's deer. He had damage on this front right and rear right ankle and could barely move. His rack fell off when he hit the ground. The neighbors buck had damage to his right rear ankle and his rack fell off as well. Last years buck I found dead had damage to his right rear ankle.

I watched a doe in archery season that had her right rear ankle and hoof heavily damaged.

I have seen deer with damaged hoofs from EHD but this looks to be something totally different.

Any input is appreciated, we just want to figure out what this could be and what could cause it.

Attachments

• IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 252

megalomaniac

Weve killed 3 in the past couple years with ankles like that and severe limps. one was even missing (completely amputated) the entire hoof. All 3 were perfectly healthy otherwise. Had our bullets not caused their demise, they would still be limping around. It's pretty rare for a deer to truly get sepsis and succomb to a limb injury.

As far as foot hold traps, deer will just pull right out of them without injury. Not sure about snares.

backyardtndeer

That is strange, that you are having a high occurrence of it happening. I killed one in 2016 that had a similar foot wound. He was limping. I wasn't sure what the cause was, thought it was possible he could have been shot, but didn't really think that was the cause.

Dumbluck

Weve killed 3 in the past couple years with ankles like that and severe limps. one was even missing (completely amputated) the entire hoof. All 3 were perfectly healthy otherwise. Had our bullets not caused their demise, they would still be limping around. It's pretty rare for a deer to truly get sepsis and succomb to a limb injury.

As far as foot hold traps, deer will just pull right out of them without injury. Not sure about snares.
Mega I would say we find 90% or more dead that we monitor with this issue. Nearly all of them have died within the year we see them with this swollen ankle injury. Only 2 have been shot because they literally could not walk.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Foot and Mouth Disease ?? Several types of Hoof disease have been around for a while. Deer Feeders that are used in the off season could be contributing to the spread ?

Last edited:

BSK

That is not EHD related. Considering this seems to be a local problem (personally, never seen anything like it), something is going on very locally.

Dumbluck

I've thought about a possible fence crossing and have looked for something and can't find it. It would have to be pretty unique to catch so many deer and do so much damage.

Everybody that's says it's not snares causing the damage can you elaborate why it wouldn't be. We aren't blaming or accusing anyone of anything but the injuries sure look like some sort of wire is getting caught around their leg and the deer are doing the damage trying to get out. We just want to figure out what it is so we can address it or atleast figure out a way to try and prevent it.

I have hunted this area for nearly 30 years, and have strictly managed up to 1000 acres at one time in the area and have never seen this once until the neighbor started using snares to try and catch coyotes. So that's the only reason I'm leaning towards snares causing the damage. But I honestly do not know at this time. I don't know enough about snares to assume it is a snare issue but the timing seems uncanny.

Dumbluck

Here is a buck I watched last year with the same injury on his left rear ankle area. I found him dead from the infection.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211223-171724_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-171724_OneDrive.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 187

Dumbluck

That is not EHD related. Considering this seems to be a local problem (personally, never seen anything like it), something is going on very locally.
Brian do you think a test could be done on an infected limb to see what was the cause?

gtk

Staff member
Everybody that's says it's not snares causing the damage can you elaborate why it wouldn't be.
If snare/trap i would expect to see more trauma to the foot, at least hair removed in a patter consistent with a trap/snare.

Could possibly be some type contagious bacteria/virus the deer are passing around that is similar to hoof root?

backyardtndeer

Could possibly be some type contagious bacteria/virus the deer are passing around that is similar to hoof root?
Think this could more likely be the problem, deer can get foot rot.

We occasionally have cows get foot rot, a shot of la300 usually fixes them up. They are a probably little easier to catch than a deer though.

Boone25/06

It's not snares because once the snare tightens down it's not going to release and come off. When the deer eventually works the snare long enough it will break the cable but thats past the loop that has tightened. The cable lock will not loosen at all or if it is a live catch it will probably still not loosen enough to come off over foot. If a deer stop was used on the snare it would slide off leg without causing very much damage before deer escaped. I have snare tons of predators and had several chew through cable but they still die shortly after because loop has been set and tight enough to stop blood flow or digestion if hip caught. 2 days after a chew out I can usually go to spot and not too far away buzzards will show you how far it got. So unless the deer is found with snare still on leg it's very unlikely to be the problem your seeing. Sorry your having these issues and hope you figure it out before it cost you many more.

Dumbluck

This was the neighbor's deer back leg.

Talking amongst ourselves we think it may be foot rot disease. We do have a neighbor feeding deer heavily which we disagree with and it might be the cause of the outbreak.

I sure appreciate all the responses and input as this disease has basically killed off all our shooters the last 2 years.

Attachments

• IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 137