Mtn Cur or Mtn Fiest

cornbread

Not looking for a fight, need some help learning which would be a better fit for a squirrel dog? Experienced Owners give me your opinion.

mtn cur

cur, be patient, get him in the woods. Forget all the hang ups and caged squirrels. Get him in the woods be patient and you'll have a fine SQD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtn cur

you'll hear a cur goes deeper but that's all in the training.

mtn cur

they are very loyal and kid friendly. Yes he is our pet. He stays in a pen on a wood deck. But as they say, when the tailgate drops the bs stops lol. I'm not a comp Hunter. I've got a 3 time world champion bloodline in the daddy, but I can't take the drama and BS in comp hunting.

bigdoc

I have had curs and fiest both, and i think you will have a better chance of getting a squirrel dog with a cur. IMO I like them all

InterHarvester

You can't go wrong with good ol' mtn curs!...I have two pleasure dogs that i hunt and money wont buy them!lol...It's already been said, competition huntin aint nothin but a bunch of bull hockey. 99.9% of comp hunters are out there to cut your throat and do whatever they have to do to win, their not there to have fun! Dont get me wrong, they are some really nice competition hunters out there. Oh yeah i forgot to mention, just because a dog has a set of papers with a lot of world champions and registered dont mean they are good tree dogs. Dont let registration papers be a sales pitch! This is just my opinion! If you hunt a fiest an he pleases you, im tickled to death for you. As the old saying goes--- HUNT WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU HUNT, AND DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE THINKS/SAYS!!!!! :)

Yotehntr

He's from the Busher line, I agree papers don't tree (but they don't hurt either. lol) on the Sire's side "Bucks Warrior" and "last day of June" , Dams side Tree Knocking Mike and Three forks Penny. From being on cur sites the only name I recognized was Tree Knocking Mike. He has a gentle personality with the family, not so much with strangers I have to get hold of him if I walk up on folks in the woods. He comes when called, is starting to "heel" pretty well sits, stays & "speaks". Not like a pro mind you but he does pretty well for a pup. I really only started the obedience 2 weeks ago, other then coming when called. I enjoy them being pups too. ;)

cornbread

Is there any thing the cur is better at in the squirrel woods over the feist? Buddy of mine had a feist back many moon ago. Hunted once over it and I remember that particular feist wouldn't bark on tree. Appreciate yalls help.

bigdoc

One reason some of my friends like curs better is that coyotes coming in on the dogs while treeing. The size of a cur will help the dog get away from the yotes. And you might wont to try coon hunting and the feist have a hard time on a shot out coon that isnt dead.

meat dog man

Yotehntr":157en4t5 said:
He's from the Busher line, I agree papers don't tree (but they don't hurt either. lol) on the Sire's side "Bucks Warrior" and "last day of June" , Dams side Tree Knocking Mike and Three forks Penny. From being on cur sites the only name I recognized was Tree Knocking Mike. He has a gentle personality with the family, not so much with strangers I have to get hold of him if I walk up on folks in the woods. He comes when called, is starting to "heel" pretty well sits, stays & "speaks". Not like a pro mind you but he does pretty well for a pup. I really only started the obedience 2 weeks ago, other then coming when called. I enjoy them being pups too. ;)
Warrior and June were my dogs until they die :tu:
Here is a pic of them :tu:

Yotehntr

Oh my gosh!!! You have got to be kidding! That is so cool, they must've been great dogs. I don't want to brag my pup up to much but I've never seen a dog act like he does. I'd love to hear some stories about his grand parents... I'll shoot you a personal message. You'd be proud to see Dan I'm sure. I hunt him with a Black mouth cur that doesn't really tree... (he's foundation bred, a hog/cattle dog) but he's my buddy so he goes too. He can't even drag Dan off tree, he plays in the yard like a pup does but when he gets in the wood he's buisness, but still obediant.

Thanks for posting!

BTW I got him out of Dechard TN.

InterHarvester

You can check on local sales network or go to omcba hunt in jamestown, tn,; id rather get a good pup an train it the way i want it as too buy a trained dog...FYI you wont find a good sq dog for 250 dollars, thats puppy price!...if you get one trained or started i would suggest hunting with it a time or two before buying...when fooling with hunting dogs its hard to trust anyone :|

cornbread

Appreciate all the in put. Still studying this and trying to figure out some stuff. We think we want a cur, to hunt and for a family pet. We are campers, or should say RVers, and go to federal and state parks mainly. We camp around woods and see squirrels here and there. I'm thinking if we had SQD on board and in training how would you handle it when SQD spots or winds squirrel and gets fired up? What would be the right way to handle that and not confuse SQD? Can you even do it without messing up SQD?

woodsman87

I like both. The curs we had would run you to death though. Treed and killed lots of squirrels and coons. Good if you were in the mood to walk a lot.
Although I like the curs, if you just want to have fun and shoot squirrels, I recommend fiest. Our fiest range good, but don't run you to death. I believe that mountain curs over run lots of squirrels that are near by. Fiest, typically, do not range as far.
As said earlier, if you wanted to try coon hunting too, go with the cur. I think they have better noses for trailing cold tracked coons, and stand a better chance with the fight of a wounded coon, although I have seen some viscous and entertaining fights with fiest.
Just get what you think fits you, hunt it alot, and have fun with it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk