Mossberg 835 misfires?

LanceS4803

My trusty Mossberg 835 really let me down this morning.
Turkey hunting when Mr Coyote trots in. Not one, not two, but THREE Failure to Fires. All had light primer strikes. He was a very patient dog waiting for me to chamber new shells each time.

Doing internet research it seems to be attributed to:
over strength firing pin spring. (Not likely, as it has worked in the past)
Frozen/sticky lube causing slow hammer strike (It was spitting snow)
Crud in the firing pin channel

Anyone else have this problem, and what was the fix? Getting ready to tear it down tonight.

TennSportsman

I had this happen to me this year for the first time. Cost me a big bird. What shells are you using? Any trigger work?

jlanecr500

Several years ago when I used a slug barrel on draw hunts requiring a shotgun/ML, I didn't get my turkey barrel seated fully when I reinstalled it. Same thing happened.If the barrel isn't fully seated the headspace will be too large.

LanceS4803

Using my regular Winchester Longbeard XRs.
No trigger work.
Haven't taken the barrel off in two years (both turkeys and coyotes taken on that install), use a bore snake to clean.

Took it apart and found some crud around the trigger housing.
Hosed down the bolt before taking it apart and pulling the firing pin. I have to say, the firing pin spring is STOUT. It takes a lot of force to get the pin to protrude from the face of the bolt. I'm going to contact Mossberg and see if they recommend a different spring.

Everything lubed and back together. Will test it out before hunting.

TennSportsman

I've put a new hammer and trigger spring in mine. Way better than the factory. Anyways, I use Winchester Long Beards #5s. Took out bolt and a slimy orange goo was down near the firing pin. Looked like factory grease and oil mixed. Cleaned bolt and firing pin hole with Q tip. Also changed to a different box of shells and shot a bird. Still not sure what was the cause of my misfire.

LanceS4803

Didn't get a chance to test fire, as the birds were already in the field when I got there.
The "test fire" was successful. Nice primer indentation.