Mossberg 510 mini

deerfever

Anyone had any experience with this gun? The gun is very short and looks perfect for a smaller kid but weighs only 5 pound. I was wondering about the 20 gauge and how bad it kicks? They also come in a 410. Has anyone used a 410 for Turkey and found a load that is effective out to say 25 yds. Thanks for your help!

deerfever

I do not have a problem with mossberg at all. I would guess the Gobblers on the receiving end of my 835 over the years probably are not mossberg fans either. I just simply do not know much about the 510 mini and the kick it would deliver in a 20.I have never owned a 410 but have read some articles of kids as well as grown men killing birds with them within limitations. Just wondering if any one has had experience or patterned one to see what it would do.If you guys have a suggestion of another brand or gun that would be good for a small youth I would love to hear that also.Thanks

PalsPal

With it being that light, I would imagine it might kick pretty good.

I would also stick with a 20. If you have the child practice, use a lighter bird shot. When they actually shoot at a bird, they will never notice the harder kick from a turkey shell.

Uncle Jesse

My daughter had one and the recoil was a bit much for her.

I got an OU 410 back in the summer and did some patterning with it. I really think a turkey at 25 yards or less would be no problem for the 410. The best patterning shells I had at the time were Winchester AA 7.5 at 1300fps

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I've got a 20ga for my son. It does kick pretty good. Had a buddy do some light bird loads for me. Works better that way. I keep him under 20 yards shooting. I also got one of the Caldwell tripod rest and put a bag of shot on it. that helps a lot. Lots to take the field, but I have spot I can drive up to, walk 10 feet set up and move truck back with no problems.

Latest posts