morning or afternoon

tophat

We where talking about turkey hunting today.One guy said he thinks the best time is morning time.The other guy said he like afternoons better.I got to thinking back i have killed several turkeys after lunch and later.Just curious what u guys think and do u use differant tactics for morning and afternoon?

YEKRUT

Can I choose both? I get there early and stay until I kill something or it gets dark. I kill most of my birds between 9 and 2 I would say. I set up or at or near a good area at gobble time in the morning and then if that doesn't pan out I walk and call until something happens. Carry lots of water and snacks and stay in the field as long as possible to up your chances. Good luck!

A

Anonymous

I have been seeing flocks breaking up this week. I have also been seeing a lot of lone hens by themselves of the evenings.

Harvester

I would have to choose both. Killed almost as many in the evenings as I have in the mornings. If I had to choose it would be mornings.

VolDoug

Mornings are mine, work half a day or so, and then after work is for the "daddy" stuff.

Plus, I'm hunting gobbling turkeys, so mornings are better for it in my area.

megalomaniac

Early in the season, I prefer early mornings (first 30 minutes of light).

By the second week on, I prefer mid mornings (around 9-10am) and mid afternoon.

muddyboots

This is an interesting observation i made one year. My dad owned 100 acre farm with turkeys all around. The first year i hunted the crap out of the turkeys every morning every evening anytime i could go. Didnt kill any off this farm. Same thing second year. Third year quit hunting it after 10 in the morning. Killed limit every year from then on this 100 acres until he got ill and had too sell it. Too bad that farm is gone.