Smokeless More Savage issues

Smokeless

Kayman12

Inherented my Dad's ML 10 and really want to hunt with it this year. However I keep getting spradic igniton with sometimes the charge not even going off. The primer will just snap sometimes. I have bought new Federal primers, used different powder, and yesterday I installed new breech and new vent liner. After this last fruitless trip to the range, I removed the new breech and tried to see if a primer would slide in it. They will not or at the least, they just barely go in. Are the primers suppose to go inside of the breech and how far. Could I have oversized primers?? Any help is appreciated. I am about ready to give it up. Thanks.

Deer Assassin

what sabots are you using and how much pressure does it take to load the ml

ez-glides sabots will cause misfires all day long you have to have pressure to ignite powder

what powder are you using? is it old how has it been stored

Roost 1

Federal 209A primers are a little oversized compared to others, try the Winchester primers...as far as mis-fires go, how much loading pressure do you have? We prolly need more info about what load you are using in order to be of more help.

GMB54

Brand new Savage plugs are sometimes very tight. I had one that i had to polish the pocket to get primers to fit. I dont think the plug is the problem though.

Have you made sure to remove the carbon from the OLD plug with a 1/8th drill bit? Carbon builds up in the flash channel and gets very hard to remove with other methods. I use a hex head drill bit in a nut driver handle turned by hand. Leave the vent liner in during the cleaning so you don't dink up the threads.

What powder and what sabots are you using?

Kayman12

Tried Alliance 2400 and IMR 4759 with T/C 250 gr Shockwaves. I have been using federal primers but gonna try winchester Friday morning. Sabots load rather eeasy.

GMB54

Dont bother with 2400. Its too fine and not as easy to ignite. SR4759 in the plastic bottle is a good powder.

T/C shockwave likely come with a MMP HPH-24 sabot. Those are usually too loose. You want either HPH-12s or MMP Short Blacks. I would like to stress again to make absolutely sure your flash channel is clean. I cant imagine your old plug is worn out.

GMB54

Harvester only offers one sabot larger than the MMP HPH-24. Its the red sabot for smokeless and they aint cheap. The MMP Short black is almost the same loaded OD as the Harvester Red smokeless sabot. The HPH-12 falls in between the MMP short black and HPH-24 in loaded OD.

Something to consider, Harvester is about $8 shipping on one pack of sabots. MMP pricing includes the shipping and they offer volume discounts on 5 packs or more.

MRUTVOL

From my personal observations from over the years more times than not the type misfires your having have been due to the bullet not being seated tightly enough. Most Smokeless powders has to have a very tight seating to properly fire .

PillsburyDoughboy

MRUTVOL":1t7xkvcr said:
From my personal observations from over the years more times than not the type misfires your having have been due to the bullet not being seated tightly enough. Most Smokeless powders has to have a very tight seating to properly fire .
There is tight and then there is too tight with these. You don't need a hammer like some people advise to get performance and ignition.

You want the sabot to be SNUG fitting.

I would suggest Trying a .458 bullet with the MMP Orange or a Harvester Black Crushed ribbed bullet. That combination along with Winchester primers should give you plenty enough of everything you need for proper ignition and give you good accuracy.

Tar12

Your primer should slide in 2/3s of its length into the breech plug.The best way I have found to remedy this is to get a dowel or something of similar size and some fine grit sand paper or emory cloth and rotate this in the primer pocket a little at a time until you achieve the proper fit.Having said that you should not be able to even remotely come close to closing the bolt on your gun if the primer won't go in!

Latest posts