More on SD cards . . . . .

TheLBLman

Many trail cams currently will not accept SD cards larger than 32 gb cards.

One of the things I've come to "like" about the Browning trail cams it that they will take larger cards,
and I'm currently mostly using 64gb cards with my Browning cams.

However, since I do have some other brands of trail cams, I'm utilizing a lot of 32gb (and smaller) SD cards.

One cam I specifically like for long-range field-scan mode are the Bushnell Core DS models.
While they normally have long battery life, when programmed to take pics all day long (without triggering), such as a pic taken every minute all day long, they will eat 8 lithiums in about a month. And, will fill a 32gb SD card with 30mb images even sooner.

In an attempt to increase battery life, a "faster" card "should" do this, albeit only a little.
So I went from some 32gb 90mb/sec SD cards to
some 32gb 120mb/sec SD cards.
These higher speed SD cards work great in the Bushnells.

However, in my Browning cams, the 32gb 120mb/sec SD cards to not work at all.
Never mind, 64gb 90mb/sec SD cards work great in the same Browning cams,
while those 64 gb SD cards will not work in the Bushnell cams.

Anyone else had "issues" such as this with the higher speed SD cards NOT working in particular cams?
Again, not talking about card capacity (such as 32gb) but talking about card transfer speeds (such as 120mb/second).

megalomaniac

I'm too dang cheap to buy the 120mb write speed cards :)

That being said, I find it surprising the faster write speed cards are not working. Going up in write speed has always worked for me in the past with any device... its going slow that resulted in corrupted files, etc.

TheLBLman

That being said, I find it surprising the faster write speed cards are not working. Going up in write speed has always worked for me in the past with any device... its going slow that resulted in corrupted files, etc.
I've also had those issues in the past with cheap slower cards, so was really surprised when the 120mb/sec speed cards simply did NOT work in multiple Browning cams. Was really surprising since those Browning cams are the only ones I have rated to handle up to a 512gb SD card!

As to faster cards being expensive, if you're not going up but a bit in speed, you may find they don't cost much more up front, but may actually save you more than the cost due to your batteries lasting longer with the higher transfer speeds from the cam to the card. This becomes even more the case with cell cams.

Another benefit of the faster card is faster cam recovery time between triggering events. You will actually get pics with a faster card that would have been missed with a slower card. This alone is worth at least a couple dollars more per SD card to me.

BSK

I bought five 64 GB 120 MB/sec cards for $60, so they aren't too expensive. Now if you get up into the 150-180 MB/sec range, yeah, they can get expensive.

Jcalder

Something else to consider is the class of the card. My cameras call for class 10. Was at Walmart earlier and they had class 4s in the hunting section around the cameras.

Shed Hunter

I'm having luck with my new ones but I tell you what I'm not having luck with. Card readers
Ha! I've had that experience too!
I bought the HME one from Tractor supply two weeks ago. Didn't keep my receipt but bought a new one today and they'll be getting the old one back. I've bought 6-7 different ones in the past year

BSK

I bought this cheap one from Walmart last year, and so far, I'm super pleased. Not had a single problem reading SD or microSD cards. And it will plug into a USB port and a USB-c port (which is what many newer phones have). I even plug it into the USB port on my TV and watch the video and pictures on "the big screen":

onn USB Micro-USB SD and Micro-SD Card Reader
Easily Transfer Files Between Computer and Mobile Device

Latest posts