MOLES!!!!

JCDEERMAN

Does anyone have ANY clue of how to get rid of them? Their are tunnels ALL through my garden and it already killed a pepper plant. I have already sprayed to kill all the insects (GRUBS) so they will leave, but they wont.

I know they make traps, but does anyone know any good brands or any other idea?????

Thanks for any input

JCDEERMAN

trealtree said:
Someone on here said tomcat mole traps are almost 100% catch rate.

Thats what I bought. I havent caught any in a week....though I suspect its "operator error" :crazy: . Though I have tried setting it 3 different ways, or "techniques" if you will. They are really starting to bug me :cry: :mad: .

If anyone uses these Tomcat Mole traps, PLEASE provide me with a few tips on setting them. I feel like an idiot asking that because it seems so simple

Jason Bagby

Half a stick of Wriggles Spearmint gum in EVERY hole you can find.
Had issues years ago and my great aunt told me to do this and it DOES work... and cheap.
(They cant digest the gum and WILL eat it...)

WTM

JCDEERMAN said:
trealtree said:
Someone on here said tomcat mole traps are almost 100% catch rate.

Thats what I bought. I havent caught any in a week....though I suspect its "operator error" :crazy: . Though I have tried setting it 3 different ways, or "techniques" if you will. They are really starting to bug me :cry: :mad: .

If anyone uses these Tomcat Mole traps, PLEASE provide me with a few tips on setting them. I feel like an idiot asking that because it seems so simple

first you got to find the run that they are using. this will be the tunnel that goes from their nest to your garden. they love to nest under bushes. it will be the longest tunnel in a line. dont waste your time on the other tunnels that seem like they go in circles.

after you find that tunnel, find a good spot to set the trap. i useally poke my finger into the tunnel to get the exact location of the tunnel so i can place the trigger exactly under it. use the heel of your shoe to collapse the tunnel. its got to be an inch below ground level. place the trap using your foot to put it into the ground. make sure the little yellow trigger on the bottom of the trap is over the tunnel, and that the pedal is perpendicular to the tunnel. step on the pedal and set the trap. if it doesnt set pick it up and use your heel to collapse the tunnel a little more. reset the trap.

it should work, i have caught 15 moles and 1 vole with mine and have only missed 1. my yard looks a lot better and no sinkholes this year.

JCDEERMAN

Thanks WTM! I didnt know about the "runs" that lead to the primary nest. I know exactly where one of the "runs" are. I appreciate it and that should be all I need to know

WTM

JCDEERMAN said:
Thanks WTM! I didnt know about the "runs" that lead to the primary nest. I know exactly where one of the "runs" are. I appreciate it and that should be all I need to know

they also seem to have tunnel runs that are deep enough you wont ever see where they are. i think these are the ones that caused the sinkholes in my yard.

oh yeah, caught another one by my dogpen. these moles are well fed,lol, all of them are 6 to 8" long.

JCDEERMAN

WTM said:
JCDEERMAN said:

they also seem to have tunnel runs that are deep enough you wont ever see where they are. i think these are the ones that caused the sinkholes in my yard.

oh yeah, caught another one by my dogpen. these moles are well fed,lol, all of them are 6 to 8" long.

The one I caught was about 8 inches long....Big ole sucker.

New tunnels just emerged yesterday plowing through my corn :mad:

WTM

JCDEERMAN said:
WTM said:
JCDEERMAN said:

The one I caught was about 8 inches long....Big ole sucker.

New tunnels just emerged yesterday plowing through my corn :mad:

reckon that one is using the same tunnel that you caught the first one in. ive caught 9 moles out of one tunnel. either it was a large colony or they can smell where the others were traveling. i even stomped that whole tunnel down and they replowed it in the exact location.

deerkiller300wsm

I have a tomcat mole trap and I have not caught anything qith it! Ot looks to like the triggwr it too high up in the trap bc twice now they have repaired the tunnel under my trap and never sprung it..... I even set it deep the second time

WTM

deerkiller300wsm said:
I have a tomcat mole trap and I have not caught anything qith it! Ot looks to like the triggwr it too high up in the trap bc twice now they have repaired the tunnel under my trap and never sprung it..... I even set it deep the second time

they may be going around the jaws. make sure the trigger is under the tunnel. if the trigger is up in the trap when set, then the trap may be defective. the trigger should hang about a half inch or so below the trap bottom.