Mojo Tail Chaser Max

Bobyote

I know some people disagree on "reaping" and I only use it as a last resort, but has anyone ever used the Mojo Tail Chaser Max and had any luck with it. I've used some small homemade jake fans and not had much luck. Prefer to outwit them and call them into my lap... Just would like to have one more tool in the tool box for a hung up strutter in a large field.

catman529

A dried gobbler fan is all you need, I tried it twice last year, once during season and once after season. Both times the bird strutted right to me. I would think a jake fan would be too small to hide behind, use a gobbler fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobyote

Did you just approach them directly or from below them etc? Thanks for the feedback, I've never had it work, I guess it was the jake fan!

Setterman

Roost 1":2oodyj1o said:
Bobyote":2oodyj1o said:
Prefer to outwit them and call them into my lap....

Is this is fact, then why worry about "reaping". I absolutely hate that term. I bet the guy who thought that term up was having a Frappuccino at Starbucks...

Haha, reaping what you call something needed because you can't outwit a bird into thinking you're worth coming to. Maybe a better name would've been infant crawling.

To the op's question, I get wanting all the tools available, but there are more effective ways to deal with stubborn birds. And you don't need to buy anything else to be successful.

Bobyote

When the season gets late and the wife wants some more ground turkey breast... Well it is nice to have another tool in the tool box. My go to is a mouth call and patience, but it never hurts to try something when the hour is getting late..

Boll Weevil

Bobyote":28proeee said:
When the season gets late and the wife wants some more ground turkey breast...

Why not just go to the grocery store? It's likely cheaper, arguably just as sporting and as far as skill required, buying ground turkey is only slightly more difficult than reaping.

PalsPal

Bobyote":pc2jttzt said:
When the season gets late and the wife wants some more ground turkey breast... Well it is nice to have another tool in the tool box. My go to is a mouth call and patience, but it never hurts to try something when the hour is getting late..

Come on man, you know if you ain't doing like the others feel you should, then you aren't a "real" turkey hunter ;) :D !

No experience with them, but hunt the way YOU want and screw everyone else's opinion.

Now, I'll step back out of the way and let the beatdown continue :D !

beatdown-o.gif

Bobyote

It's funny how some people say its the easy way to do it, then they must have tried it.. I've never had it work, only boss gobblers taking there hens away. If it happened to work, great, and it's legal. Maybe we should try to get along as hunters and stick together instead of downing someone who's just wanting to try something that looks like fun. If it was so easy there wouldn't be any gobblers left. I'm seeing more this year already than I have in awhile so it must not be damaging the flock too bad. It's not like I'm asking for poaching tips lol. Maybe we shouldn't be able to use decoys either since that's too easy as well - because that is all a fan is, is a decoy...

ZachMarkus

Bobyote":97g8zyh6 said:
It's funny how some people say its the easy way to do it, then they must have tried it.. I've never had it work, only boss gobblers taking there hens away. If it happened to work, great, and it's legal. Maybe we should try to get along as hunters and stick together instead of downing someone who's just wanting to try something that looks like fun. If it was so easy there wouldn't be any gobblers left. I'm seeing more this year already than I have in awhile so it must not be damaging the flock too bad. It's not like I'm asking for poaching tips lol. Maybe we shouldn't be able to use decoys either since that's too easy as well - because that is all a fan is, is a decoy...

First of all I will start out saying I don't use decoys, never have never will. I don't even own one. I was taught how to hunt turkeys the traditional way by my dad and grandfather, just me, a call, a gun and a good setup. A few years ago I had a couple of places that had birds but the spots were 2 huge fields and the toms would stay out in those fields and strut and follow the hens around all day. I was trying to hunt them by just calling and moving around on them and no decoys. I became frustrated because there were so many hens and the toms wouldn't leave the hens they were with to come check me out. One dad I'd had enough and I told myself if they wouldn't come to me I was going to go to them. At this point I had never heard of fanning, this was like 5 or 6 years ago. It wasn't all over tv and the internet like it is now. I went home got a fan from a bird I had killed in the past and the next day went back out and shortly after fly down there were 5 toms in the field strutting with about 50 hens. I got behind my fan and started crawling to them. I got halfway to them and 3 toms broke away from the flock and strutted side by side all the way to me and I shot the biggest one. That season and a couple seasons after that my hunting partner and I fanned several in these two fields and we never did have one spook from us. They either strutted or ran all the way to us. From my experience there is no skill involved except for hitting one at 10 yards. I won't try to fan one now days. If I can't bring him to me with a call he will live to see another day. Fanning or reaping is ruining turkey hunting. It's all over tv and the internet and people are starting to get into turkey hunting just because they have seen all these videos and they want to try it. I know people personally that have killed their limit in birds the last couple of years by strictly crawling behind a fan and these people couldn't kill a turkey to save their life if you took the fan away from them. Personally I think it should be illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Setterman

Bobyote":4ynmu23b said:

I have done it long before plastic turkeys, rc car mounted strutters, funky chickens, etc etc. I used a palmetto branch and a black plastic bucket to better shield myself. It was a travesty how easy I killed a bird that evaded me all season. Therefore I have no qualms slamming a rinky dink style of hunting.

With skill most any turkey can be killed, sure it may it may take 10 hunts but that's part of the fun. The new age of hunters want instant success and a Facebook picture, working for a kill be damned and earning it be damned.

Setterman

ZachMarkus":y5trb21j said:
Bobyote":y5trb21j said:

First of all I will start out saying I don't use decoys, never have never will. I don't even own one. I was taught how to hunt turkeys the traditional way by my dad and grandfather, just me, a call, a gun and a good setup. A few years ago I had a couple of places that had birds but the spots were 2 huge fields and the toms would stay out in those fields and strut and follow the hens around all day. I was trying to hunt them by just calling and moving around on them and no decoys. I became frustrated because there were so many hens and the toms wouldn't leave the hens they were with to come check me out. One dad I'd had enough and I told myself if they wouldn't come to me I was going to go to them. At this point I had never heard of fanning, this was like 5 or 6 years ago. It wasn't all over tv and the internet like it is now. I went home got a fan from a bird I had killed in the past and the next day went back out and shortly after fly down there were 5 toms in the field strutting with about 50 hens. I got behind my fan and started crawling to them. I got halfway to them and 3 toms broke away from the flock and strutted side by side all the way to me and I shot the biggest one. That season and a couple seasons after that my hunting partner and I fanned several in these two fields and we never did have one spook from us. They either strutted or ran all the way to us. From my experience there is no skill involved except for hitting one at 10 yards. I won't try to fan one now days. If I can't bring him to me with a call he will live to see another day. Fanning or reaping is ruining turkey hunting. It's all over tv and the internet and people are starting to get into turkey hunting just because they have seen all these videos and they want to try it. I know people personally that have killed their limit in birds the last couple of years by strictly crawling behind a fan and these people couldn't kill a turkey to save their life if you took the fan away from them. Personally I think it should be illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh my how the worm has turned :D

https://m.popkey.co/e4996d/zE6qR_s-200x150.gif