Mock Scrape Action

KevinC

Glad to share. I'll give you the short version for now. Though I can make them work anywhere, it is better to start in an area they prefer to scrape every year. I'll start before opening bow weekend. I've had great success opening weekend especially when the weather cooperates like this year. I had one of my target bucks working my scrapes opening weekend and I missed him by not being patient and taking too long a shot and miss guessed my yardage…he was at 68 and I guessed 80 and shaved the hair off his back, but I truly believe the mock scrapes had him coming in regular. Now as the rut closes in, it will become harder to pattern then because a rutting buck will often travel 2.5-8 miles every day during the rut. That doesn't mean 8 miles away, but up to 8 miles distance in their territory, so while they will still hit the scrapes it becomes much more random. During the rut they are most helpful to get that buck to stop where you need him to stop if he does travel through. Ok, so I when I make these scrapes I always wear the same gloves which I keep in a zip lock bag along with the scent. I use one of my plastic rattling horns to make the scrape. I will apply some doe urine in the scrape, but the real magic is what I apply to the overhanging limb (which is a must). I use a gel which is a collection of the preorbital gland scent secreted from the corner of their eyes…scientifically called the "lachrymal gland". It's one of 5 ways bucks will leave their scent at a scrape, and this attractant seems to be the most effective. It has NEVER spooked a deer, and will pull in all size bucks and does, even the most mature. I'll dip the limbs into the gel leaving as much on the limbs as possible. It's effectiveness will depend on weather, but even when it gets rain a couple times I've had them working the scrapes two weeks later. I prefer to refresh once per week. Even here in late December I have them working scrapes, but the frequency is way down of course. There's a lot more I could say but I was just told to clean up the kitchen for company. Hope that helps a little.
Great information! I've made several scrapes over the years but have never tried the pre orbital gland scent! May try that next season!

Shed Hunter

I've never used pre orbital, but I have plenty of luck with real scrapes and no longer make mock scrapes (even though they do work great whether it's just scraping the ground or not)

Those are some nice pictures. And the one buck is particularly nice

13pt

Great I will definitely keep this posted so I can practice next year. One last question is how do you decide on where to make the mock scrape? I believe you might have mentioned this earlier is some old scrape sites of the previous years but just any odd overhanging branch work? Better success in bedding areas or feeding areas? Maybe near a frequently used trail? I enjoyed reading your post. I always enjoy seeing good buck pictures and hearing the stories of encounters that the hunters have had. Thanks again and merry christmas!
I really like to use a beech tree limb as an overhanging branch because they are so tough, but many times I just have to use whatever is available. I've used about everything from holly and mountain laurel limbs (both very though and stands up to the thrashing from their horns), cedar limbs, apple tree limbs, oak tree limbs, maple trees limbs and so on. Point is find the tree with the lowest limbs, and preferably along well used trails. I would avoid bedding areas for sure. Feeding areas are good if you can get in and out without spooking your deer. Some of those pics I posted came from an overhanging maple limb that was too high to reach until I broke it so it would hang straight down. It was my only choice in the spot where I needed it so I made it work. Notice some of those bucks are even standing on their hind legs to reach the limb good…pretty cool.

It's worth noting this is not a silver bullet. You can't just do this where there's few deer and expect to draw them in. And even where there's lots of deer it must be done carefully. If there's good deer traffic in the area, and done properly, then it's the best way I've found in 46 years of hunting to survey your local bucks and get them to make detours as they pass through the area and funnel them to where you need to get your clean shots. They won't pass up your scrape without stopping to leave some of their own scent and that's all it takes.

flankston

I really like to use a beech tree limb as an overhanging branch because they are so tough, but many times I just have to use whatever is available. I've used about everything from holly and mountain laurel limbs (both very though and stands up to the thrashing from their horns), cedar limbs, apple tree limbs, oak tree limbs, maple trees limbs and so on. Point is find the tree with the lowest limbs, and preferably along well used trails. I would avoid bedding areas for sure. Feeding areas are good if you can get in and out without spooking your deer. Some of those pics I posted came from an overhanging maple limb that was too high to reach until I broke it so it would hang straight down. It was my only choice in the spot where I needed it so I made it work. Notice some of those bucks are even standing on their hind legs to reach the limb good…pretty cool.

It's worth noting this is not a silver bullet. You can't just do this where there's few deer and expect to draw them in. And even where there's lots of deer it must be done carefully. If there's good deer traffic in the area, and done properly, then it's the best way I've found in 46 years of hunting to survey your local bucks and get them to make detours as they pass through the area and funnel them to where you need to get your clean shots. They won't pass up your scrape without stopping to leave some of their own scent and that's all it takes.
Yes here are a couple videos from last year of a community scrape that is there every year. I'm probably going to replicate this location using your method. There are multiple one's on this property but I would be interested in seeing if I can get them to come into my mock scrapes that are in better locations for a stand. I've also done a little more scouting of the property and observing and seeing new trails and sign I didn't know was there. Some of the patterns change later in the season and I've noticed they use the ridge tops more in December. This property is difficult in that getting to the food source is difficult without blowing out what is already in there or walking through cedar thickets. It was interesting in that the last video I posted the buck didn't acknowledge the scrape. I wound up harvesting later but found it interesting. The scrape was in the same spot this year as well and I passed on many bucks hitting it but didn't have my camera set up there. I had one set up on another scrape and had a nice 8 working it. It is funny how some scrapes are only 1 buck specific I believe, or at least that is what my camera tells me.

Attachments

• Video_3.mov
    1.1 MB
  • Video_2.mov
    1.2 MB
  • Video_1.mov
    1.1 MB

Latest posts