MN Turkey

PickettSFHunter

My wife and I made the very long drive up to Minnesota to primitive camp and turkey hunt. All camping was shut down In the area except dispersed camping. We had a ton of trouble finding a spot that was legal to camp but ended up finding a spot at some public land access to a few thousand acres. We simply woke up, and walked out of camp. We ended up working a bird about 1 mile in but he stayed in a private field and wouldn't cross the line. At mile 4, we cut another bird, also in a private field. We set up in a steep holler Leading out of the field and called aggressively. Nearly 30 minutes and many gobbles later, I heard my wife say "He's coming and coming fast". I couldn't see him but she could. Two hens ended up passing us at about 35 yards (I was thinking she thought they were gobblers or something) but then this guy popped out from behind some big trees at 20 yards. One morning and my MN hunt was over. I had never been in the state before and didn't know what to expect other than some messaging with a TNDeer member who had passed through the area. I tried to get my wife to get a tag but she just wanted to fish and camp, so we stayed another 1.5 days and did that. Great trout fishing also. I reckon that's a wrap on my season.

Attachments

• 9EB274F2-15F5-4938-9DD5-4BB6FDFAACE2.jpeg
    9EB274F2-15F5-4938-9DD5-4BB6FDFAACE2.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 9A66C241-C467-470D-AD32-A3BC1E4BDD33.jpeg
    9A66C241-C467-470D-AD32-A3BC1E4BDD33.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,077

spoon

Again, congratulations Steven, outstanding job! Thought you and your wife would have made it to Pennsylvania.

PickettSFHunter

spoon":2fei3dge said:
Again, congratulations Steven, outstanding job! Thought you and your wife would have made it to Pennsylvania.
I really wanted to pack up and head over to Wisconsin. My wife was not real supportive of it after having troubles finding camping and going without showers and such. There's always next year I suppose.

PickettSFHunter

Boll Weevil":3648rvks said:
Now that sounds like fun! Is is still cold or at least cool up there?
It was very nice. Apparently it has certainly been cold recently there but temps
were in the 50-75 degree range the whole time we we there. Everything was blooming, dry land fish had started popping, and oaks were just budding. Much like my area of TN in mid April.

rhinoblake

Congratulations on a safe and successful trip. Great job on the harvest. Thanks for sharing the stories. I am extremely jealous, the north woods is a special place.

Latest posts