Missouri mud

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Got a big ole heaping helping of it this weekend.

We are in the middle of a drought, the Mississippi River is going dry and I have been to the pit 3 times in order to prep for this season.
It has rained all three times. :mad:

This weekend the plan was to put out some of the decoys, about 150, clean the roll tops off and paint them. Then the next weekend do the brushing and put the remaining 500 decoys out.
We pulled a 12' trailer behind the four wheeler until the mud built up on the tires so bad the wheels wouldn't roll anymore.
Unhooked from the trailer and @rem270 carried me and 3 bags of decoys to the edge of the field and dropped us off.
Then he had to make 4 more trips back to the trailer, bringing two bags at a time.

They got an inch of rain last week and another inch the day before we went. :eek:

After multiple trips the mud built up so bad it made the fourwheeler almost inoperable.
Worked poor rem to death trying to drive it.
We ended up getting maybe 120 decoys out, and threw the big bag in the pit and left.
We were a half mile from the truck.
It took us 2 hours to get the four wheeler back to the trailer, get it hooked up and get it to where we could get the truck hooked to it.

I am way too old to work like I did and I am paying for it today, more than I thought I would.
We have another spot we can park that we are going to look at next time. It will be the same distance but a straight shot in on a field road.

I have about decided I do not have the equipment needed to hunt in Missouri.
Gonna start looking around at used helicopters cause that's what we need.

WilcoKen

We are in the middle of a drought, the Mississippi River is going dry and I have been to the pit 3 times in order to prep for this season.

This weekend the plan was to put out some of the decoys, about 150, clean the roll tops off and paint them. Then the next weekend do the brushing and put the remaining 500 decoys out.
We pulled a 12' trailer behind the four wheeler until the mud built up on the tires so bad the wheels wouldn't roll anymore.
Unhooked from the trailer and @rem270 carried me and 3 bags of decoys to the edge of the field and dropped us off.
Then he had to make 4 more trips back to the trailer, bringing two bags at a time.

They got an inch of rain last week and another inch the day before we went. :eek:

After multiple trips the mud built up so bad it made the fourwheeler almost inoperable.
We ended up getting maybe 120 decoys out, and threw the big bag in the pit and left.
It took us 2 hours to get the four wheeler back to the trailer, get it hooked up and get it to where we could get the truck hooked to it.

I am way too old to work like I did and I am paying for it today, more than I thought I would.
We have another spot we can park that we are going to look at next time. It will be the same distance but a straight shot in on a field road.

Fun times. You will bring alot of mud home with you too. Rice stubble would wrap all around my axles last year then mud over that. Always fun cleaning it up when I got home. Not a problem this year--I'm walking in/out of field. Cant wait!

cbhunter

Not the same unless you post that 4 wheeler pic! Sorry again I had to cancel

rem270

It was absolutely horrible lol. Took every wheel off and washed it when I got home. I told Ruger now I know why that blind was open and up for grabs for this season .
20221105_123029.jpg
20221106_090618.jpg
20221105_100234.jpg

woodyard

i thought it was next weekend we were doing that. I was going to offer my services. Yall might of had drag me out of there after I got bogged down without my crutch. Lol

can you walk in that crap?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
i thought it was next weekend we were doing that. I was going to offer my services. Yall might of had drag me out of there after I got bogged down without my crutch. Lol

can you walk in that crap?
Yeah next weekend, just wanted to get a jump start on it.
Walking actually isn't that bad. You would think looking at those pictures that we left ruts a foot deep. They were all actually closer to 1 inch deep.
Weird crap.
Once you get to the actual field its not much different than dry ground.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Also, like me and rem were saying yesterday, one trip in and one trip out would have been a total different ballgame.
The multiple trips is what got us.

mike243

Well that's ugly, a lesser 4 wheeler would still be setting out there, you reckon those big assed mud tires would work better or just load it up faster? I see a lot of them but never used any

Redfox

Don't miss that . I used to drive mine through the water rather than on the levee when it got really sticky. I could churn enough water that it kept everything washed out. Been a bunch of axles replaced because of mud, stubble, and cold air. Never buy atvs from that part of the world!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
No joke I was wondering if tracks would be better?
The guy we leased from, and I have hunted with before, changed his to tracks last year, I know that much.
I think it will be managable but we have just hit it on the 3 worst days we could have to do work.
When / if it gets cold and the ground freezes a little going in will be a non-issue and then when we leave after it thaws, just one trip won't be as bad.

kopter doktor

I do repair and modify and build helicopters....for a living....which kind would you like to rent.....LOL

cmn

I used to carry a small shovel and an old machete to "cut" the mud off the tires. 15 years of that was enough to make Reelfoot more appealing

Latest posts