Mississippi State Fires coach

PillsburyDoughboy

My buddy is a State grad and sent that to me this morning. Don't think he got a fair shake after taking over after Leach's untimely passing. Not even a year but I'm sure he's got a decent buyout and will be fine. Now who do they get?
Nothing but love and respect for Leach but if memory serves me correct he was 4-6 his last couple of years with the program so alot of Zach Arnetts problems were inherited and were going to take some time to clean up.

I would imagine MS State was not looking at his record so much as they were looking at his recruiting power and are going after someone that can recruit at a much higher level. Zach Arnett does not exactly scream recruiting machine IMHO.

Gravey

Nothing but love and respect for Leach but if memory serves me correct he was 4-6 his last couple of years with the program so alot of Zach Arnetts problems were inherited and were going to take some time to clean up.

I would imagine MS State was not looking at his record so much as they were looking at his recruiting power and are going after someone that can recruit at a much higher level. Zach Arnett does not exactly scream recruiting machine IMHO.
After talking with my buddy the word on the street within the alumni base is a lot came from his attitude. Seems it may not have been on par for a head coach. That's just the early rumor.

PillsburyDoughboy

After talking with my buddy the word on the street within the alumni base is a lot came from his attitude. Seems it may not have been on par for a head coach. That's just the early rumor.
He's 37 years old. Makes him pretty young for a head coach. I think Ms State could have done Coaching Search at the time and found someone seasoned better and with more experience but with Leaches untimely passing maybe thought he was the best fit to keep the team Glued and focused together.

CBU93

Anybody that thought that hire would be long term has bigger issues than their lack of sports knowledge…I feel for the kids going through such tumultuous times…not fair to them, but life ain't fair…

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I hear that he just wasn't ready to head a program, but he was hired for continuity to get past the passing of the pirate. The pirate was an enigma within the school… some lived him and some not so much. But he was the leader of the program, and Arnett was the common thread from that program. No one really expected him to be a long term fix. The buyout wasn't extremely big, if I recall correctly

Latest posts