MISSED!!! TWICE!

Atchman2

Normally I am crossbow hunter, but I've been very sick lately. I'll be danged if it would keeo me at home during the first weekend of deer season. Now the last two years I haven't even seen a deer, but I've been so busy with work that isn't really fair to say. I spent Friday, Saturday, and most of Sunday in bed sick. Finally I got enough energy to go hunt locally at a subdivision. I couldn't find my crossbow and my son had buried it under a bunch of his crap. I didn't think of firing it since I haven't used it since Kansas Turkey Season. BAD IDEA.

I wasn't expecting anything and was sitting there watching the NASCAR race on the phone and ROASTING in the heat. I looked up and there was a doe standing there at 33 yards. She for certain saw me and was cautious. I had plenty of time to aim, but somehow missed low. I don't know if my bow is off or she moved when I shot, but it was a clean miss.

Not 30 minutes later, I look down and see a six point buck in the EXACT same spot. Thinking the bow was off I aimed a little higher. Right over the top of him! He may have ducked, but I think I just plain missed.

I left in disgust. Today I'm going to do the testing I should have done on Sunday. I am glad I didn't hit one of those deer as bad as I was shooting. I'm actually thinking of putting the red dot back on the crossbow instead of the scope. The max distance I can see is 35 yards so the red dot should be fine. I'll do a few days of shooting and testing before going again. All I can think of is my son piled something heavy on it and it changed to point of impact.

I've never gotten a deer with archery. I was so excited. Perhaps it was excitement not equipment. 😁 I have taken turkeys for years with a crossbow.

Atchman2

Well both bolts that I missed with are no good anymore. They are shooting high which makes sense because I buried them in the ground. The bow was off a little to the left, but I still should have hit at that range. Pretty sure it was user error, though I did observe one glancing off a tree and found the mark where I hit it. Still that is user error.

I have 5 new arrows coming in on Wednesday. I'll number them and try them out. Right now I'm down to three for certain good ones. I think the Headhunters I'm using are actually aluminum, not carbon. They are from Wicked Ridge.

Madbowh

I've got a few dozen of these for my daughter never had an issue. She's got a couple Robin hoods and I got one myself. I have green fetching for target and orange for hunting with luminoks. She's killed a few with them and the guy that makes videos for this company is hilarious.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230925_103139_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230925_103139_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 36

Mag

2-Step Enabled
I'm wondering if you flinched as you pulled the trigger or rushed to look and see if your shot was good? I fight the urge to look up too soon, I've forced my self to keep the deer in my scope view until I know it's a good hit. I've let a lot of deer pass because I wasn't 100% confident in the shot, either small limbs in the way, bad angle etc. but for each shot I take resulted in a dead deer.

Atchman2

I'm wondering if you flinched as you pulled the trigger or rushed to look and see if your shot was good? I fight the urge to look up too soon, I've forced my self to keep the deer in my scope view until I know it's a good hit. I've let a lot of deer pass because I wasn't 100% confident in the shot, either small limbs in the way, bad angle etc. but for each shot I take resulted in a dead deer.
That is great advice. I passed up a long shot today when I REALLY wanted to shoot. It was across a draw through a million limbs. I'm just going to try and be more patient and calm.

I'm also going to change the sight in on my crossbow. Instead of it being sighted in a 20 yards on the first pin, I'm going to sight the 30 yard pin at 30 yards. That is becoming my normal distance for seeing deer so I'm thinking that should be my sight in range right? I still think it will be close enough at 20 to not worry about it, but I will check it at that distance as well.

UCStandSitter

Hot take that will likely get me roasted but oh well:

If you don't have time to ensure your equipment is zeroed before going hunting, you don't have time to go hunting. Thankfully these bolts missed instead of injuring the animal. There are enough variables that can cause things to go sideways when taking a shot without equipment not being setup properly being a factor. It's irresponsible.

Take this in the spirit it is intended or get mad. Whichever you prefer.

Last edited:

Madbowh

This is a common problem i think with most, squeeze, breath then look.

Atchman2

So, I have been using those Wicked Ridge Aluminum crossbow arrows. They are kinda all over the place at 30 yards. I've numbered them and have kept the best three. I was using them on my old 300 FPS crossbow, I have a new 400 FPS crossbow now. I have harvested a bunch of turkeys with them and my old crossbow.

I pulled some older carbon arrows out of the archives and OMG they are stacking them at 30 yards! I'm not positive if that was the issue, but the carbon arrows seem to be doing MUCH better in the faster newer crossbow.

The good thing, is I just ordered a pack of 5 of that exact model this last weekend. They should arrive today and I'll test them.

Atchman2

Hot take that will likely get me roasted but oh well:

If you don't have time to ensure your equipment is zeroed before going hunting, you don't have time to go hunting. Thankfully these bolts missed instead of injuring the animal. There are enough variables that can cause things to go sideways when taking a shot without equipment not being setup properly being a factor. It's irresponsible.

Take this in the spirit it is intended or get made. Whichever you prefer.
No I get it. It wasn't the equipment it was pretty much me. The thing is when you have been as sick as I have for the last month, the urge to go is just SO strong. I probably should have held off, but while my disease isn't fatal, it is affects your muscles and endurance. I just don't know how many more chances I'm gong to get to go before I can't do it anymore.

Nope I deserve to get "roasted".

Lt.Dan

So, I have been using those Wicked Ridge Aluminum crossbow arrows. They are kinda all over the place at 30 yards. I've numbered them and have kept the best three. I was using them on my old 300 FPS crossbow, I have a new 400 FPS crossbow now. I have harvested a bunch of turkeys with them and my old crossbow.

I pulled some older carbon arrows out of the archives and OMG they are stacking them at 30 yards! I'm not positive if that was the issue, but the carbon arrows seem to be doing MUCH better in the faster newer crossbow.

The good thing, is I just ordered a pack of 5 of that exact model this last weekend. They should arrive today and I'll test them.
I'm not gonna roast you. But I will ask what kind of sights/ scope you are using. I use a Vortex Crossfire II crossbow scope. It zero's at 40yrds then has a 30 and 20 yards crosshair above the zero, as well as 50 and 60 yard crosshair below zero. It also has dots for 70-100 yards but we all know those ranges are for target shooting. What I'm saying is, this is a good scope for under and over the "zero" and if you set it up according to the directions it is dead accurate. We'll worth the money and great for the confidence when that buck steps out. Google the scope and check it out.

Atchman2

Thank you I will look into it! I think mine is a TruGlo. I have had it for over a decade. Looks like time for an upgrade.

When I turkey hunt, I rarely have to shoot over 10 yards. This 30+ yard thing is new to me.

Lt.Dan

Thank you I will look into it! I think mine is a TruGlo. I have had it for over a decade. Looks like time for an upgrade.

When I turkey hunt, I rarely have to shoot over 10 yards. This 30+ yard thing is new to me.
I don't shoot over 40 myself. I think you will like the Vortex. You may have to use some Kentucky Windage at closer than 20 yards. I shot one deer at 15 yards using the 20 yards crosshair and hit a little high but it was still a good hit. Practicing closer on a 3D turkey will let you know how low to hold on the bird.

Lt.Dan

The scope costs almost as much as my bow, but I think I will buy it anyway. I hunt in Kansas a lot and it would be SO worth it there.
If I'm not mistaken, the scope cost me more than my bow. But it was worth it.

Edit: just looked back on the prices. Not more than my crossbow but almost as much. Still worth it

Last edited:

Atchman2

If I'm not mistaken, the scope cost me more than my bow. But it was worth it.

Edit: just looked back on the prices. Not more than my crossbow but almost as much. Still worth it
It was only $200 on Amazon. Not bad at all! I think my new bow was around $400. That is still a lot less than my friends 2K plus Ravin. 😁

Atchman2

I don't shoot over 40 myself. I think you will like the Vortex. You may have to use some Kentucky Windage at closer than 20 yards. I shot one deer at 15 yards using the 20 yards crosshair and hit a little high but it was still a good hit. Practicing closer on a 3D turkey will let you know how low to hold on the bird.
I don't shoot that far normally, but the spot I am hunting is in a steep hollow. They tend to graze along the slopes so I have to shoot at least 30 yards. My backyard target is 30 yards, and with my new carbon arrows I can hit a 2" target every time.

My old scope is a decade old or older. My new bow deserves some new glass.😁

Specializedjon

I missed 2 crossbow shots at 30 yds and under last season because I didn't check my scope properly. Like @UCStandSitter said, I was thankful I didn't make a bad shot and injure the deer. I've spent the required time getting it all dialed in this year. Lesson learned. I too am looking for my first bow kill. I've got a bad case of buck fever, so even with a sighted in bow...doesn't take much for an arrow/bolt to fly an inch high. Good luck.

Lt.Dan

Are you practicing with field points or broadheads? I have a crossbow that will hit dots at 30 yards with points and will not shoot a 2 foot pattern with any broadhead I have tried yet.
I always take a shot or 2 with the broadhead on just to make sure it's dialed in. I index all my broadheads and they fly pretty straight. My groups stay within 2-3 inches which is pretty good. You have about 6-8 inch kill zone on a deer generally speaking.