Milton

bowhunterfanatic

Minimum four losses if he's the starter the rest of the year.

Some of the "drops" could have been caught, but they were still poor passes.

Lose next week, or if he's terrible in the first half, we need to give Nico a shot. Not sure if Heupel would do it or not.
I don't think so. Pretty sure we'd have to lose multiple games before Nico gets a real shot. I think we only lose 2-3 with Joe. Yeah, he was awful tonight, but we've also seen him have a couple good games too. My biggest worry with him is the inability to pick up third downs. Even when he plays well seems like we go 3 and out way too often.

TNTreeman

Ok , the gumps lost so all is well except the Vols looked like a HS team. The Gayturds will romp them next week if they play like they did today. They should have been able to run off tackle plays ever down and move the ball but they couldn't . Hope they look different next week.

RobbyW

Just posting so everyone understands the FCS power house that is AP. 12-106 since 2009. As an Arkansas fan living in TN with so many Vols and AL fans today is a good day. UT won the game but do not think UT had a winning day. They struggled against a horrible program.
IMG_4853.jpeg

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Interesting quote from that article:

"How could Tennessee be that bad? Better yet, how could a Josh Heupel offense be so inept for so long against an opponent that began its season with a 49-23 loss to Southern Illinois? It's worth noting that the Governors trailed Southern Illinois 28-0 at halftime and 41-3 after three quarters.

I guess the Vols should be happy they didn't schedule Southern Illinois as their second opponent."

I find it interesting/funny, but I'll also say that they were likely running a vanilla offense and trying a few things out. I didn't watch the game so I don't know, but sometimes your team will see some ups and downs the first 2-3 games. AP was giving them their best effort, as well. I think that UT will be fine.

wayne

Milton is 5-1 as a starter at Tennessee along with being the Orange Bowl mvp. He's competed 67% of his passes in 2 games this year.

PalsPal

Interesting quote from that article:

"How could Tennessee be that bad? Better yet, how could a Josh Heupel offense be so inept for so long against an opponent that began its season with a 49-23 loss to Southern Illinois? It's worth noting that the Governors trailed Southern Illinois 28-0 at halftime and 41-3 after three quarters.

I guess the Vols should be happy they didn't schedule Southern Illinois as their second opponent."

I find it interesting/funny, but I'll also say that they were likely running a vanilla offense and trying a few things out. I didn't watch the game so I don't know, but sometimes your team will see some ups and downs the first 2-3 games. AP was giving them their best effort, as well. I think that UT will be fine.

John Adams wrote the article. He will go to extremes to get people to read his articles. Most TN fans love to hate him.

Not an original thought from me, but I'm going with the delay to the start of the game and not being able to run through the T threw us out of kilter theory.

But, it does give the coaches plenty of coaching points for this coming week, so Saturday night will tell us a lot.

I fully expect FL to look much better. I just hope TN is up to the challenge.

Spurhunter

I'm pretty sure he didn't call the plays.
You missed my point. He completed almost all of the flat passes elevating his completion percentage and missed almost all the downfield receivers. His percentages look ok, but in reality a good defense will shut down the flat passes and he'll be in trouble. I'm not hating on him. I want him to be the next Patrick Mahomes. But the facts are the facts.

wayne

You missed my point. He completed almost all of the flat passes elevating his completion percentage and missed almost all the downfield receivers. His percentages look ok, but in reality a good defense will shut down the flat passes and he'll be in trouble. I'm not hating on him. I want him to be the next Patrick Mahomes. But the facts are the facts.
I think the biggest problem that's not been addressed is that the wr's aren't getting very open.

bowhunterfanatic

I think the biggest problem that's not been addressed is that the wr's aren't getting very open.
This is a fair point but Milton was AWFUL against Peay. Saying otherwise would be disingenuous. He missed numerous throws high or behind the receiver. The receivers did nothing to help him but that doesn't change the fact that he was awful.

All that said my biggest concern with Milton is 3rd downs in general. He's had more 3 and outs in TNs last 4 games than Hooker had in two years. I don't expect Joe to be Hendon but he's got to be much better on third down.

K-dub

I watched the Josh Heupel show this morning and the way he broke down some of the busted plays both offensively and defensively made things not look near as bad. Did Milton miss a few throws, he did, but ol Josh was way more disappointed in the receivers than he was the quarterback. Honestly without our DB slipping and falling, they don't score. We do need to be better at Florida and I think they will be. Austin P is no chump, it was 17-3 in the third last year when they played bama.

RobbyW

I watched the Josh Heupel show this morning and the way he broke down some of the busted plays both offensively and defensively made things not look near as bad. Did Milton miss a few throws, he did, but ol Josh was way more disappointed in the receivers than he was the quarterback. Honestly without our DB slipping and falling, they don't score. We do need to be better at Florida and I think they will be. Austin P is no chump, it was 17-3 in the third last year when they played bama.
Are you kidding me?!?!? AP should be a chump every Saturday against any SEC team. They are 12-106 since 2009 and AL score was actually 34-0 last year. Al played 3 different QBs. Don't be that guy that justifies the game by saying AP is better than they are

7mm08

Sorry, Phil, nothing John Adams EVER writes is worth a read. He is a total hack.
I disagree. I used to think that living in Knoxville and reading him everyday but I came to realize he was SICK & TIRED of the shenanigans and the fans not getting their ROI from fat Phil all the way down to this past Saturday. If it wasn't for Adams having the balls to go after Fulmer that fat sack of stupidity would likely still be the coach or AD. He jumped on the JH train just like the rest of us. Seeing/hearing what was produced Saturday after all the money to coaches and now players is not acceptable. Their head and hearts were not in the game.

I have my doubts based on Saturday that they beat FL on Saturday….. hell, they barely beat them last year in Neyland.

scn

I disagree. I used to think that living in Knoxville and reading him everyday but I came to realize he was SICK & TIRED of the shenanigans and the fans not getting their ROI from fat Phil all the way down to this past Saturday. If it wasn't for Adams having the balls to go after Fulmer that fat sack of stupidity would likely still be the coach or AD. He jumped on the JH train just like the rest of us. Seeing/hearing what was produced Saturday after all the money to coaches and now players is not acceptable. Their head and hearts were not in the game.

I have my doubts based on Saturday that they beat FL on Saturday….. hell, they barely beat them last year in Neyland.
I see no way they win in the swamp.

Adams is a LSU fanboy that has based his dubious career on trying to antagonize the Vols family to get clicks. He is the poster child of a hack.

Fulmer wasn't cut out to be an AD. But, even at that, he was better than Hamilton and Curry. I more than got my ROI from his coaching for many years. He fell off at the end. The grown up Kiffin was probably a better coach. The Kiffin the Vols got wasn't ready for that job. But, Fulmer still would have been better than the next three clowns.

I love our current coach. But, he will be lucky to give my Vols a run like Coach Fulmer gave us. National Championships don't happen every day.