Military on leave question

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
If I'm reading things correctly, my active duty son does not require a license to hunt or fish when he comes home on leave next month. If he wants to go turkey hunt with me, and he is successful, how will we check his bird in? He has had a TN hunting license previously, so he does have a TWRA Id number already. But since he has been stationed in Germany the last couple of years, I know he has not bought one.

TAFKAP

As I understand it, once you are issued a TWRA number, that's yours forever. Not sure how the check in would work, though.

Omega

Unless I am mistaken, his leave papers allow him to get a free license, if he has had a TN license before, then that new license would still have the same number due to the SSN, so could check in as normal. But yea, I would check to be sure, as I am not sure exactly what the "free" license includes; I have just recently learned my Vet license doesn't come with some things the regular lifetime one does, though I hunt private anyway so no issue.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Just got off the phone with the folks at the region office. He does not have to have the basic hunt fish license, but would have to purchase the big game supplemental to take a turkey. He just has to carry his leave papers and military id to cover the basic hunt fish part of the license requirements.