Mercury Optimax issue

ZachMarkus

I have a 2018 optimax 250 pro XS on my boat and I'm having some issues with it not pulling oil from my main oil reservoir. Low oil alarm came on when I was idling back in to the marina. I checked the main reservoir and it had plenty of oil in so I took my cowling off and checked the small reservoir and the cap was loose and I could tell where oil had been spraying out. I had just made a 50 mile run so I guess it vibrated loose. The small reservoir was about halfway full and the sensor couldn't detect oil so that's why the alarm came on. It seems like it has lost prime but I can't get it to prime back up. When my motor is running it's using the oil from the small reservoir but my main tank isn't keeping it filled up. Any suggestions? Maybe pin hole in my pickup line or something ??

MCO8891

Id check on Bassboatcentral. A guy named Don Weed runs the motor forums. He's highly respected and diagnosed several of my engine issues.

West_Tn

Check to make sure everything is air tight first.

Next check to see if the small tank on motor is filling back up. Put some muffs on the motor take cowling off and top off the small oil tank to see if the level rises.

If it doesn't and everything else is air tight it is probably the brass check valve coming out of the crank case.

Easy way to check if that is the case if you are getting no oil movement with motor running. Turn the motor off, pull the hose off that valve and blow in to it and see it that moves any oil thru the system. Might have to use a air compressor if ya can't blow hard enough lol.

Latest posts