Meopta

WanderingNomad

I currently have a Vortex Diamondback scope and kind of kicking around splurging for a Meopta MeoPro scope. My question is, will the difference between the 2 scopes be noticeable enough to warrant the cost. Thanks for any feedback

DaveTN

Is there something about the Diamondback you don't like? Are there accuracy issues you think a new scope will help? Vortex has a lot of other options.

I have never owned a Meopta either. At first look they appear to be in the Leupold price range. I own Leupolds, Vortex, and Nikons. My Vortex Viper is slower and takes more work at getting a clear sight picture than my Leupold does. But in fairness my Leupold is a VX-III that costs more than twice what the Viper did.

WanderingNomad

Dave, no issue with it at all, just peeking around for an upgrade with better glass and bit more than the 3.5-10 power I have now would be the best answer I can give. Meopta may not be the winner but seems to be well made from what I read but the cost is probably outside what I truly would spend.

DaveTN

and bit more than the 3.5-10 power I have now would be the best answer
Midway has this Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 44mm Side Focus on sale for $280 for Black Friday. I have that scope, I can't get a sight picture as fast as my Leupold, but it's a good scope and I doubt you will find that kind of power for that money.

They also have the Vortex Viper 4-12x 40mm Side Focus for $230

Last edited:

WanderingNomad

Midway has this Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 44mm Side Focus on sale for $280 for Black Friday. I have that scope, I can't get a sight picture as fast as my Leupold, but it's a good scope and I doubt you will find that kind of power for that money.

Thanks for pointing that one out!! Will check it out!

GMB54

They are calling the Optikas, "Meopro Optika" too. So maybe he is talking about those and not the old Meopro line?

Either one is a solid step above a Diamondback and the Optika5 start at under $300 on sale. Right around $320ish street price.

GMB54

NP but like i said the MOA-2 reticle is really thin. The rest of the scope is very solid. Ive got the STAC 3-16x42 in plex and my only complaint is the eye box gets fussy on max power. The 4-20 i looked through the same day was fine on max and even though the glass is similar i thought it was a bit better. Probably one of the better buys in that price range for tracking and durability. Tougher than the Vipers imo. I know quite a few people that have put both Sightron and Vortex on hard kicking SMLs. Its pretty rare you hear about a Sightron failing. You will hear about plenty of Vortex that needed to be sent back.

One of the Vipers i have seen that has been popular and cheaper is the 2.5-10 and 4-16 HS series. Midway often has huge savings on both those scopes. Around $250-270. The HS also has better eye relief and a nice V-Plex reticle.

Last edited:

WanderingNomad

NP but like i said the MOA-2 reticle is really thin. The rest of the scope is very solid. Ive got the STAC 3-16x42 in plex and my only complaint is the eye box gets fussy on max power. The 4-20 i looked through the same day was fine on max and even though the glass is similar i thought it was a bit better. Probably one of the better buys in that price range for tracking and durability. Tougher than the Vipers imo. I know quite a few people that have put both Sightron and Vortex on hard kicking SMLs. Its pretty rare you hear about a Sightron failing. You will hear about plenty of Vortex that needed to be sent back.

One of the Vipers i have seen that has been popular and cheaper is the 2.5-10 and 4-16 HS series. Midway often has huge savings on both those scopes. Around $250-270. The HS also has better eye relief and a nice V-Plex reticle.

Thanks for the great feedback and have the Viper HS 4-16 bookmarked to check on 12/8 as it has a bit more field of view and ED glass.