MDC - Fee for Commercial Filming on Conservation Areas

Bone Collector

Some of these are already required to purchase a permit on certain WMA's.

View attachment 74674
good info, but it needs to be any they use. Percy is not listed. You sometimes run into horse back riders, illegal ATV riders, birders, hippies camping. Amazingly most of the campers assume that it is just open to camping (I don't think it technically is, not sure though), but are flabbergasted when they see you pulling up and getting out with guns to hunt... an activity you paid to be able to do.

RS

good info, but it needs to be any they use. Percy is not listed. You sometimes run into horse back riders, illegal ATV riders, birders, hippies camping. Amazingly most of the campers assume that it is just open to camping (I don't think it technically is, not sure though), but are flabbergasted when they see you pulling up and getting out with guns to hunt... an activity you paid to be able to do.
I believe Percy Priest is owned by the Corps of Engineers and managed by TWRA, that may be why they can't require a permit there.

Gravey

I know on the islands you can camp and it's first come first serve. No permit required.

Displaced_Vol

The general idea to tackle this is the "backpack tax" although it is full of criticism, which I understand completely.
Fully funding the Federal Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF), which is not tax payer funded, and possibly a industry volunteered excise tax, much like the ammo tax, would go a long way to supporting public lands for all users.
The issue up here in KY from our commission is they don't want to charge other users because it would then lead to them having to cede even a small amount of "control" to the non consumptive users. And I understand that line of thinking.
No perfect answer I know of yet. But I think you're right in that LWCF money being spent "wisely" can go a long way to helping out a lot of public lands and user groups.

Bone Collector

I know on the islands you can camp and it's first come first serve. No permit required.
true, but other areas not so much, though most folks don't look into it and just pitch tents. Of course I could be wrong, it may be 100% open, but I do get a kick showing up and they are all nervous looking when I head into the woods. Doesn't happen often though and during deer season, it is usually some E. TN boys trying to come shoot all our deer ;) 😂...

Rakkin6

Little torn on this issue, on one hand if an individual purchases a license then they have the right to public land fair and square. But I can see how it may also negatively impact areas. Where I hunt on Fort Campbell you can't video anything. Just outlaw it and revoke hunting rights if it is broke instead of charging money and making it convoluted.

TheLBLman

Little torn on this issue, on one hand if an individual purchases a license then they have the right to public land fair and square.
If an individual purchases a HUNTING license, then they have the right TO HUNT that public land.

Just saying, a hunting license should not necessarily give someone the right to produce a commercial movie venture.

But, yes, the lines are blurred, and the issues may be a bit complicated.

Latest posts