Maxcatch fly rods

Snowwolfe

Have a Alaska trip planned this summer and will be fishing for sockeyes, cohos, and maybe kings. Was doing inventory of my fly rods and realized most of them were given to my son. I decided to buy at least one backup rod but didn't want to go with anything super expensive. Combat fishing on the Russian and Kenai rivers can be brutal and there isn't room to play a fish so they have to be controlled and beached as soon as possible. I have found a 9-10wt rod perfect for the task. Did some research and decided to try a Maxcatcher fly rod. Following are my observations after receiving the rod:

Not a lot of adornment on the rod and I am fine with that. Cork handle has a slight petroleum odor but that should go away in time. The case the rod came in is first rate. Reasonably light weight and action is what I expected for a 10 wt 9 footer. Without wetting a line my thoughts are I like how the rod feels and it is really nice for the money. $74 delivered. Just placed an order for another Predator but this will one is a 9 wt 9 footer. When you are chunking a 1/2 to 3/4 ounce fly/sinker it really isn't "fly fishing" anyhow.

Ordering direct from their web site is the best deal as they do not tack on sales tax. Both eBay and Amazon are higher priced and then sales tax is added.

A lot of people frown on the fact they are made in China, myself included. But I learned several decades ago virtually all fishing rod blanks were made in Korea and now China has entered the game as well. Check out their web site. They have many different style of rods (and reels) as well as other stuff. Compared to some of the prices for high end rods in the states these are a bargain. I plan on buying some smaller rods in the near future as well.

7mm08

Get in touch with SCN.. they sell some sweet second hand rods thru the shop he works at.

I bought some second hand Sage's off eBay. A 6 & 9 wt. Busted the 9wt on a 10# red. Sage repaired it for $80. Is my go to boat rod.

The 6 has been to Alaska twice and caught close to a hundred big bows and now is my go to marsh rod when I wade for reds.

So used rods with quality manufacturers is an option IMO.

Latest posts