Marshall Co. Question

SKhunter

I may have an opportunity to hunt some land right of I65 in Marshall Co. I don't know much about the county, but I know it is right next Giles Co. and only 20 miles from Alabama. Anybody have any experience is this county? What your opinion? Thanks

SKhunter

Good to hear. The property is directly west of Lewisburg along I65, so it is pretty close to Giles. I hope to make it down that way here in the next couple of months and look around. Is the land rough or is it pretty flat? I have never driven I65. Thanks

Bayou Buck

SKhunter said:
Good to hear. The property is directly west of Lewisburg along I65, so it is pretty close to Giles. I hope to make it down that way here in the next couple of months and look around. Is the land rough or is it pretty flat? I have never driven I65. Thanks

That area has a few hills but I'm sure its nothing compared to what you are used to in East TN.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Land is flatter than E TN and more surface rock, lots of cedar thickets. Lots more deer than E TN. The lay of the land is very similar to the land BESIDE I-75 in Monroe and McMinn counties.

SKhunter

It can't get much rougher than E TN, as far as TN land goes. I have heard it has rolling hills, but I wanted to hear some opinions. I need to get down there soon and check it out. What's the soil like? Am I gonna have to really work to get something to grow?

Columbia Scott

Part of Yanhali WMA is either in or very close to Marshall at I-65. I've scouted that area a few times. A great deal of dense understory and dense cedar (juniper) growth. It was super hard to hunt but deer sign aplenty. The deer in Marshall seem to have exceptionally good mass. I think that most Marshall county deer I've seen killed over the years lean towards the non-typical end of the deer spectrum. Dark colored racks and lots of trash.

I hunt a 500 acre lease in Northern Giles and while deer density is high we have only seen one deer over 140" in 5 years and he was on an adjoining property. My biggest to date was 124 1/2". The biggest I have on my trail cameras might go mid-high 130's.

I have hunted a farm in Marshall that was owned by a local doctor. Very nice terrain, lots of turkeys and again tons of cedar. I never saw a deer, but it looked good. The terrain is hilly with little variance in inclination. Not steep just sort of gentle rolling hills and very, very rocky. Poor soil if I had to guess.

catman529

Columbia Scott said:
Part of Yanhali WMA is either in or very close to Marshall at I-65. I've scouted that area a few times. A great deal of dense understory and dense cedar (juniper) growth. It was super hard to hunt but deer sign aplenty. The deer in Marshall seem to have exceptionally good mass. I think that most Marshall county deer I've seen killed over the years lean towards the non-typical end of the deer spectrum. Dark colored racks and lots of trash.

I hunt a 500 acre lease in Northern Giles and while deer density is high we have only seen one deer over 140" in 5 years and he was on an adjoining property. My biggest to date was 124 1/2". The biggest I have on my trail cameras might go mid-high 130's.

I have hunted a farm in Marshall that was owned by a local doctor. Very nice terrain, lots of turkeys and again tons of cedar. I never saw a deer, but it looked good. The terrain is hilly with little variance in inclination. Not steep just sort of gentle rolling hills and very, very rocky. Poor soil if I had to guess.
All of yanahli is in maury county. it extends east very close to the marshall county border though.

WGK

Skhunter if you get overwhelemed down there just drop my a pm I will be glad to help you thin um out LOL

hitek7

This will be my third year hunting Marshall county. I was happy the previous two years. Lots of deer in the areas we hunted. We hunted just off 65 on the east side both years. It is my understanding the west side is just as good.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
SKhunter said:
It can't get much rougher than E TN, as far as TN land goes. I have heard it has rolling hills, but I wanted to hear some opinions. I need to get down there soon and check it out. What's the soil like? Am I gonna have to really work to get something to grow?

In general the soil is not bad there. There can be some very good soil on one side of hill or rise there and the other side be completly rock. Along I-65 some areas there-especially the ones that are cedar thickets-are prety much rock on the surface or just right below the surface.Some parts of Marshall County will be a lot dryer than E TN.

Latest posts