Marlin 444......

Savage Shooter

Thinking about getting one of these. Any pros or cons I need to worry about? I have done a little research and read about the history of this weapon. Seems like a big round. I have a 30-06, but wanted a 30-30. Then this opportunity knocked. Just curious about what some of you think. It appears that the ballistics of this round can be quite effective to 200 yards or more.

FULLDRAWXX75

I have owned one for @ 15-20 yrs now, it is my go to brush gun. It is a definate powerhouse gun..................it packs a punch on both ends. LOL

If you can get one at a good price, you won't regret it.

FDXX75

Hogbear

My first centerfire rifle over 30 years ago was a Marlin 444, had to sell it when money got tight in college. It would do a number on an armadillo. Killed a few deer with it too.

meat hunter

Pro = Great short range heavy hitter.
Con = Ammo is expensive and hard to find. Not a lot of choices.
You can save by handloading, but, if you are going to go that route the 45-70 is a better choice for a host of reasons.

Savage Shooter

Thanks for the info fellas. Looking at ammo prices, it's about the same as what I pay for my 30-06 ammo. I have wanted a brush gun for a while and like the feel of it for sure. Y'all are helping the guy that's selling thats for sure.

backwoods7

There good guns i have had a few but for shooting deer avoid the remington 240gr jsp. Every deer i shot with those the bullet failed to exit.

FULLDRAWXX75

backwoods7 said:
There good guns i have had a few but for shooting deer avoid the remington 240gr jsp. Every deer i shot with those the bullet failed to exit.

Here are two pics of a bullet recovered from a buck I shot a few yrs ago. It was a rather odd scenerio of events but I finally got a shot as he was standing sort of head on facing me. The bullet entered at the rt. side of the base of the neck and I found it just under the hide on the left rear hind quarter as I was skinning him out. No exit, but he dropped in his tracks at 75 yds.
2007_1011mzl0024.jpg

2007_1011mzl0023.jpg

Remington 240gr soft point

FDXX75

W4CCR

If you are looking at a used Marlin, the older rifles have the MicroGroove barrels, newer are Ballard rifling. The rate of twist is different.

The MicroGroove barrels have consistency issues stabilizing the Hornady Leverevolution ammo.

I purchase on built in 1990, and don't have issues, but Hornady does have it on the Ammo box it could be an issue.

Latest posts