Manure tea?

fishboy1

Anybody use manure tea?

We have a bunch of chickens pooping like there is no tomorrow.

Thought of putting the coop cleanings into a bucket and adding some water to make fertilizer tea.

Anybody have experience using chicken manure to make fertilizer tea?

pic

You already know this but there is tons of data online about compost/manure tea.

So my short answer is NO, I know nothing about it.

catman529

I haven't tried it yet, a lot of gardeners set up aeration systems to keep their tea constantly aerated and its seems like a more complicated process than I am willing to try.

I would throw the chicken scat in with a compost pile and use it that way.

fishboy1

We did a 5 gallon bucket of cow manure tea last year and it worked great. BUT it was composted manure.

The chicken squeezins are FRESH!

Guess I can just dump a shovel full in a 5 gallon bucket of water and stir it every day or so. After a week or 3 it should be ready to dilute and put on the soil around some plants.

Mike Belt

My grandmother told me a long time ago that when she was a little girl growing up one of the remedies for sicknesses was to boil cow patties and drink the tea.

AROD

Mike Belt said:
My grandmother told me a long time ago that when she was a little girl growing up one of the remedies for sicknesses was to boil cow patties and drink the tea.
great! now im sick. :sick:

BowGuy84

fishboy1 said:
We did a 5 gallon bucket of cow manure tea last year and it worked great. BUT it was composted manure.

The chicken squeezins are FRESH!

Guess I can just dump a shovel full in a 5 gallon bucket of water and stir it every day or so. After a week or 3 it should be ready to dilute and put on the soil around some plants.

Basically what I am going to try. I have a bunch that is just too good of nutrients to throw away.

fishboy1

My neighbor who has a couple hens puts the coop cleanings right on her garden with no problem.

Think I am still going to give it time to "cool off". Don't want to burn up the garden after all that work.

Latest posts