Mammoth Hickory harvest

trealtree

Catman, Check these out.

photo-1.jpg

catman529

Rub it in, yeah.... :D

Looks awesome. I have pretty much wiped out our shagbark in the front yard with close to 200 nuts that the squirrels didn't enjoy.

One thing I noticed about the shellbark (mammoth) hickory nuts - some places they sell for $5 or more, I think for seed purposes. But then I found a site that sold them for $5 per pound, which I guess was for food use rather than growing them. Are you gonna sell these and if so, how/who will you market them to? Me personally, I will take a hammer to every one I find and they will end up in pies and other recipes... I can make money other ways, I only get 1 crop of hickory nuts a year... :grin:

trealtree

catman529 said:

Looks awesome. I have pretty much wiped out our shagbark in the front yard with close to 200 nuts that the squirrels didn't enjoy.

One thing I noticed about the shellbark (mammoth) hickory nuts - some places they sell for $5 or more, I think for seed purposes. But then I found a site that sold them for $5 per pound, which I guess was for food use rather than growing them. Are you gonna sell these and if so, how/who will you market them to? Me personally, I will take a hammer to every one I find and they will end up in pies and other recipes... I can make money other ways, I only get 1 crop of hickory nuts a year... :grin:

The plan is to market them on ebay/craigslist and make a video of me float checking them etc. So that people will know they are good. I may try to sprout several of them and sell the saplings also.

catman529

trealtree said:
catman529 said:

The plan is to market them on ebay/craigslist and make a video of me float checking them etc. So that people will know they are good. I may try to sprout several of them and sell the saplings also.
good idea. I think they need to be stratified before germination. I guess you can just put them in a box with a lid outside for the winter.

Latest posts