Lyman Great Plains Hunter

Sako

All, I have been hunting with a Savage ML-II for about a dozen years now and it is simply not any challenge at all... If it is under 200 yards and I shoot at it, it is dead.... So I am looking for more of a challenge and have been interested in Flintlocks for a long time but have never wanted to have to shoot round balls... Now I see the Lyman great plains hunter model has a barrel that is twisted to use modern conical bullets... THis has me very interested... Anyone have any experience with this gun in either Flint or Cap shooting modern bullets?

sun

New for 2020 is the Pedersoli made Lyman Great Plains Signature Series which is different than their standard
Lyman Great Plains made by Investarms.
It's made with several different twist rates including a Hunter model with a 1 in 24: twist in both .50 & .54 which has a 30" barrel instead of the standard 32".

Pedersoli also makes another model named the Hawken Hunter Flintlock that has a 1 in 24" twist with some different features.
That model has a rubber buttpad compared to the Investarms curved buttplate that some folks complain about.
AFAIK the Signature Series has button rifling instead of broach rifling, while the Hawken Hunter has a tang peep sight, a slightly shorter barrel and weighs less.--->>> https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/pedersoli-hawken-hunter-walnut-stock-50-cal-flintlock.html

Last edited:

GMB54

Where is it listed the Signature series are cut rifled? Pedersoli has used broach rifled 50cal 1-24 barrels for years on other rifles. Broaching is a type of cut rifling but it is not the same as single point cut like GMB uses on some of its barrels.

Last edited:

sun

Where is it listed the Signature series are cut rifled? Pedersoli has used broach rifled 50cal 1-24 barrels for years on other rifles. Broaching is a type of cut rifling but it is not the same as single point cut like GMB uses on some of its barrels.

You're right, I misread the article in the 1st link that I posted above.
It states that:
"This new Lyman by Pedersoli has a button rifled barrel."
Thanks. I'll edit my post to correct that,

The Hunter-Hawken link has a video where Pedersoli states that it has broach rifling.

Last edited:

GMB54

My guess would have been they are both broached. A button is pulled through after the broach does the cutting. The button is just to smooth things out. The video explains the full process used by Pedersoli. I would be surprised if Pedersoli setup special barrel tooling just for Lyman. Maybe its possible they dont make the barrel if it button rifled. Then Pedersoli does all the assembly and proofing.

I think one guy on MML either already has one or its on order. Cant remember atm.

Last edited:

Latest posts