Lures ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
What is a few good lures / scents to start out with?

From what I gather you put one kind on some wool or whatever and put it in the hole then use another type of fox scent above and around the top of the set?

Planking

Im still a novice but so far i like Mark June or Cavens in the hole. Fox urine or coyote gland on the backing. I mix and match.

pass-thru

IMO the #1 most effective lure for predator trapping is red fox gland lure. I like Carmen's the best but have also used Caven's and June's with great success.

As a change up I also use Dobbin's Purrrfect. If I am only trying to catch a coyote I will use coyote gland lure, though I have caught fox on that as well.

I also use castor lure and skunk essence sometimes in addition for curiosity. Sometime use fox or cat urine. Often use a small piece of bait.

fishboy1

Great DP bait recipe.
1. Cheapest catfood you can find. I paid $1.88 for a 3lb sack at wally mart.
2. 2 envelopes of strawberry kool aid. (.45 each)
Dump into a big container with lid, and shake to mix the ingredients.

You can add a little melted bacon grease to it but your possum catch will increase. OR you can add a can of sardines but your possum and skunk catch will increase.

Avoid making a goopy mess that will freeze hard. I made the above but put a 1/3 jar of peanut butter in my mix. Worked great when the weather was warm but froze hard as a rock when it got cold. I couldn't set the trap off stabbing it with a screw driver.

pass-thru

One DP bait that I used and would not buy again is Mark Junes dp bait.....shelled corn with fish meal. Ended up pitching most of it. Coons would pass it up for other dp's just about every time. Did catch a couple possums on it though.

Planking

I have been reading some on making bait and beaver, bobcat, deer liver etc ground up with sodium benzonate (preservative) seems to be what alot of people use for yotes. Some add fox urine, castor, skunk etc too. I guess that's legal in Tn before i go to the trouble? I couldn't find anything in the guide. I have been letting cats go and have several beavers around and may take one or two to make bait with if its ok to do so.

Bodine270

I have caught a bunch of coons in DP's with small marshmallows. I put one under the trigger and a freebie on top of the trigger.
Cheap, easy to use, and no mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Bodine270":3fd0o69i said:
I have caught a bunch of coons in DP's with small marshmallows. I put one under the trigger and a freebie on top of the trigger.
Cheap, easy to use, and no mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddy of mine told me that is what his friend uses too.
Lot less messy than sardines. :D

fishboy1

IF you use marshmallows (great coon bait) Make sure they are small enough to not hinder movement of the trigger.
Last season I was using whole mashmallows on the trigger and they would freeze to the side of the trap preventing the trigger from firing.
Started cutting them in 1/3 and problem solved.