Lucky buck

backyardtndeer

Finally got my first sit of the year in this morning. Cwd zone, so rifle opened. Not long after light, i let out a grunt sequence and about two minutes later had this buck come in behind me. White oak i am sitting in is dropping acorns and he is picking them up as he works around into my wind. He was real close when he jumped sideways and got behind the tree where I couldn't see him. He went into stealth mode, didn't hear him or see him again, until about 10 minutes later when I heard a buck blow directly behind me. Then within a minute have a doe and fawn come in from a path to my right they head directly to the tree out in front of me picking up acorns. As they head on their way, a deer crashes through behind them. Doe keeps looking back. They were very vocal this morning.

Had another doe fawn pair pop up over the hill out in front of me about 150 yards away and they are keyed in on the oak in am in. They are steady trotting. Then the four are all together about 20 yards in front of me. The momma does didn't seem to fond of the idea of sharing in that spot and they got into a kickboxing match on hind legs. Fun stuff to watch. Then I hear a few grunts that I knew were not the does. The 8 point that had been behind me is now coming out from the right, near where the first doe and fawn came out of. A little pushing went on and they settled down and went on feeding on acorns.

Buck gave me several broadside opportunities inside archery range, had I had my bow or crossbow I would have shot him, but he got a pass with the rifle and instead got shot with my phone. I say he was lucky, because had it been my wife or daughter, they definitely would have shot him.
Message_1667220649557_(1).jpg

Will be back in the same tree tomorrow morning.

backyardtndeer

Guess this may become a live hunt.

Not much early action this morning, had a doe come in directly to my tree at 6:58. Didn't do any calling with her under me, she hung around about 45 minutes until a lovestruck youngster showed up. Then the chase was on.

Watching 4 bucks add turkeys right now. 2 2.5 year olds a 1.5 and the 3.5 I saw yesterday.
20221101_082330_(1).jpg

Last edited:

backyardtndeer

Only single doe I saw was the one right after light. The little buck that chased her came back out later. Had three more pairs of does and fawns feed heavy on acorns between 8:30 and 9:45.

Latest posts