Low Procuctivity ...why?

TS_13

Well about a month or month and a half ago I planted winter wheat and DER. I planted 60lbs of WW and 4 lbs of DER in about .5 acre. I checked it this past weekend and notice that it is coming up and the deer are eating it, BUT its looks like a balding man! The plants are anywhere 3-8 inches apart, its not nearly as thick as it should be. Any suggestions for Spring planting so this doesnt happen again? I thought I over seeded if anything.

Thanks guys,

deerchaser007

Hows the turkey population on that place?? Turkey LOVE winter wheat seed. They could eat up a 1/2 acre spot in a matter of days if it didn't germinate.

The deer could have also browsed it down to the look of a balding man also. If you have a high deer population,.. 1/2 will not last long.

Crappie Luck

Staff member
Same here. I just put out the rest of my seed (20 lbs) on an 1/8 acre plot. My soil is fertalized and limed. Last year it grew in nice and lush, this year it's very spotty. Some really nice spots, some bald. The turkey have been in it and the deer are mowing donw teh clover as fast as it comes in. i don't know if this is too late to plant or not, but I figured the seed woudl have a beter chance in the dirt than in my barn.

I think the drought has done more harm that anything

CL

TS_13

Yeah the turkey were hitting it pretty hard.... That didnt help! Is it too late to over seed? and can I just spread some more on top of the ground? What do ya'll think?

Latest posts