Looking To Try Traditional???

Thunderhead

I've all but given up gun hunting myself. Now the only enjoyment I get out of gun or muzzleloader season is taking my kids and videoing their kills. I've bow hunted for 25 yrs now, but always with a compound. I still love to bow hunt and shoot 3d's but I'd like to try traditional shooting. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on it at first until I see if it's something I like. I'd like to have something just to mess around with here in the yard and on the 3d range. Then when/if I get good enough I'd like to try hunting with traditional equipment. I'm looking for a used recurve at decent price. If anyone has or knows of one for sale let me know either here or thru pm. Also, any advise on what to look for in a starter bow or getting into traditional archery would be appreciated.

eddie c

first thing i would do is find someone in your area did shoots trad. hands on help and advise is extremely helpful. you can get the same advise online but unless your are sure you know what you are being told, it is easy to do it slightly wrong and mess up.
do some research on the bows before you buy one. try it out first if possible.
there are some great used bows out there for the same or close to the same price as some so-so new starter bows. set yourself a dollar amount on how much you want to spend on a bow and go from there.
dont apply compound setup principles to trad bows, 2 different styles of bows, different setups. I made that mistake the first year I tried trad and drove myself nuts.
find a local 3D trad shoot. most folks at these shoots will help new shooters.
dont overbow yourself with poundage. there is no let-off. 20#s lighter than your compound is a good starting point. and as you get older, that lighter poundage is better on your joints.

Thunderhead

Thanks for the replies. I've been told by several people about being careful with the draw weight and not getting overbow'd. I'm thinking somewhere in the 35# to 45# range to start out. I'm pulling 74# on my compound now.

brotherbutt

I actually took my Bear Kodiak Magnum out last night and managed to fling two arrows at a deer about 20 yds. I missed both of them. Mental error was all it was. I didn't concentrate on my target right before I released; instead, I focused on my arrow. Bad mistake. It sure was a lot of fun, though. My bow is 50#, which is perfect for me with no let off.

Latest posts