Looking for H4895 powder

Reload1

I just found a load to try that uses H4895 powder. I was on the phone all afternoon and can't find any in town. Got excited when I saw the post below but Midway is already out of it. So does anybody have any I could buy or trade for? I have several different kinds of powder, even IMR 4895 just no H. So if anybody has even a partial can I'm interested. Just a few ounces would let me know if this load will work and then I can keep looking.

I just looked on the trade post and didn't realize how old they were, nothing current. So let me know if you know of any. I'm in the Knoxville area. Thanks, Bill

backyardtndeer

While not exactly the same, IMR and h4895 have very close burn rates, I have had great results with imr4895 for 308 and 223. Have you checked to see if there is load data for the IMR powder for what you are wanting to load?

I know it is not advisable, but I used Hornady and hodgdons data for h4895 for my 6arc loads, but actually used imr4895. There was another loading with a different weight projectile that had the IMR powder and h powder very close in charge and velocities, but not for the weight bullet I was loading. I started near the bottom and did not go past the max.

skipperbrown

The IMR and H are very similar. The H version is more temperature stable. The IMR was designed for and used by the military for years and years.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
They are not the same burn rate. They are similar, but they cannot be used interchangeably. Some load charts show very similar max charges for a given application, while some are more than a grain different between max charges

Reload1

Unfortunately with the reduced loads Hogdon recommended I not use the IMR4895. Their reloading department is very good with some very knowledgeable people. They said while the burning rate is very close the way the powder actually ignites is different enough not to allow you to cross it over.

Mauser Meister, thanks for the tip but trying to save the extra hazmat charge and find it locally. If I can't soon then I may have to bite that bullet.

maddhatter82

2-Step Enabled
I just got a can of h4895 would really like to get some 4198 for the sml I just got. if you need some still I'm in strawberry plains area and I'll gladly give you some to experiment with shoot me a text 8652828070

squirrel_hunter

I was going to tell u. If u are ever over in Arkansas. I could help u out. I think i have 5 or 6 cans. I use it in my 204 ruger 28.5 grs a 1 pd can goes a long ways. I did load my wife up 100 rds of 30/30. I used H4895 in that load too.

rickyk280

Latest posts