Looking for a scope

remke

For a varmit riffle. I can only spend around $250 and need something like a 32x or bigger. any suggestions? :crazy:
I have looked at Mueller, and looks nice for the money.

TheLBLman

remke said:
. . . . need something like a 32x or bigger. any suggestions?
I'd first ask have you ever tried hunting with a 32x or greater magnification scope?

Personally, I wouldn't consider that much magnification unless was expecting MOST shots to be over 600 yards. Otherwise it could handicap you more than it helps on closer shots.

For the price range stated, I don't think you can find a 32x scope you'd want to keep after trying it. Within the stated budget you'll get much better quality with a smaller scope, such as a 4-12x or 6-18x, etc.

Even 12x magnification turns a 300-yard image into a 25-yard image.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Oh I misunderstood what you mean by 32.

Not sure what you can find in that price range with that kind of magnification and if you do, I wonder about the quality.

pass-thru

I'm not even sure they make 32x rifle scopes. And if you do find one.....better hope for a clear sky and lots of sunshine. Forget about hunting after sundown.

remke

outbackhunter2010 said:
can i ask why you NEED that much magnification?
I am going Praire dog shooting this spring, early summer. Got the 204 on the way, and need some glass.
thats why I dont need a hole lot of light in to see. We wont be out there til 9am and be gone by late afternoon.

Thanks for all the input and links, I will look at them on Wednesday.

cleatus2506

Look at the T-36 Weaver. You should be able to find a good used one for between $250-300. They are pretty decent glass for the money. I had one on a 6BR that I just sold. I used it on a prarie dog hunt once and it was fine for that. Mine had the 1/8 minute dot reticle and it was a little small for hunting, but great for punching out sub 1/2" groups on unsuspecting pieces of paper!

bull

I've been on a few prairie dog shoots and found that I had to turn down the magnification on my 6.5-20 powered Leupolds due to mirage and heat waves off the barrels. 16 or 20 would be the maximum that I could use.

I hope that you have a great time. It was not unusual for me to shoot 500 rounds per day.

bull said:
I've been on a few prairie dog shoots and found that I had to turn down the magnification on my 6.5-20 powered Leupolds due to mirage and heat waves off the barrels. 16 or 20 would be the maximum that I could use.

I hope that you have a great time. It was not unusual for me to shoot 500 rounds per day.

great advice

Latest posts