LOOKING AND NO LUCK!

corymhoward

went hunting arrowheads yesterday on one of the islands near nathan bedford forrest state park yesterday.....nothing. any helpful hints would be appreciated. also was told by some great aunts of a place that they used to dig up arrowheads by the bucket full in the '30s. upon asking my mother she confirmed that she used to find them all the time in this spot. what would this be to be so full of these things and how do i go about looking for them.....pm me

Cuttin Caller

Staff member
You might not want to do that. You can not pick them up on any state property.

Also I always thought you wasn't allowed to dig for them.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong?

Had a guy tell me yesterday at work I was wrong about creek fishing and trespassing and I disagreed with him to the point he threating to call his buddy at twra and prove me wrong so I gave him my phone and said call him. Of course he couldn't call him.

Really someone clear this up cause I hate second guessing myself and would hate to know I am breaking the law or not do somethign because thinking its against the law.

muskyhunter

Cuttin Caller

as long as you are on private property, have permission and are NOT disturbing a grave you can dig all you want. no digging or surface picking up an state or federal property.

Crow Terminator

Yep on private land with permission you can hunt all you want. If you find a grave site though you are suppose to call and notify people.

As for finding arrowheads and other surface items...it just requires an eye for doing it. I've gotten decent at spotting them but when I go with somebody that has done it a lot longer than me, they usually always find more just because they know what to look for and how to spot them. I carry a long stick with me and check out every little piece of flint that I see. Sometimes you'll find the perfect arrowhead shape laying on top of the ground...those are the easy ones. More often than not, you'll first see a little piece of flint buried in the dirt and then when you move it with the stick, you'll expose the whole arrowhead or just many many flint chards. Thus the stick...if you didn't have one, you'd be bending over to touch every little piece and that gets old if you're fat like me.

corymhoward

yea i finally went today while fishing on yellow creek...had a guy tell me i could go in his corn field--nothing and watermelon patch that was more recently plowed...couple peices of fint found dont know what they are. has anyone ever heard of folks finding anything around yellow creek??

Cuttin Caller

Staff member
corymhoward said:
yea i finally went today while fishing on yellow creek...had a guy tell me i could go in his corn field--nothing and watermelon patch that was more recently plowed...couple peices of fint found dont know what they are. has anyone ever heard of folks finding anything around yellow creek??

Even though I have never found anything. Yellow Creek is a hot spot. You got permission keep looking. You got to go after this rain.

Crow Terminator

Well just keep on looking and you'll eventually get the eye for spotting them. I'll give you one little small tip that helps me out. The position of the sun is a biggie for me in spotting them.

If I go mid morning to noon and early evening, I can find more. Low light is bad for me in spotting them. And be sure to keep your shadow away from the rows you are walking. Me personally, I can spot flint better in direct sunlight. Or we relic hunters jokingly say you have to sneak up on relics, and if your shadow is in front of you as you walk, the relics see you coming and hide.

Camp

corymhoward said:
went hunting arrowheads yesterday on one of the islands near nathan bedford forrest state park yesterday.....nothing. any helpful hints would be appreciated. also was told by some great aunts of a place that they used to dig up arrowheads by the bucket full in the '30s. upon asking my mother she confirmed that she used to find them all the time in this spot. what would this be to be so full of these things and how do i go about looking for them.....pm me

Most of the time for surface hunting you want to find an old village or campsite. Those are typically found close to a year round water source. They had to drink and cook. Natives weren't stupid and knew about floods. Most are located on even slightly more elevated areas than the flood bottom. Even if it's just a gentle hump or rise. Doesn't have to be up on a bench or high terrace.

Also, they liked to be able to protect their site from possible enemies. For that reason they most frequently located them on the inside of a sharp bend/loop in the river/creek. That provided more waterfront as a natural moat for protection. It also allowed easier access to water from all of the village/camp for drinking and cooking.

Sometimes 2 very sharp bends located together, one after the other creates an almost "S" shape in the river/creek. That's a perfect possibility for a large permanant type village. It provides all the benefits x 2 by using BOTH sides of the river inside the bends. That's like a "planned development area". They could expand the site to completely fill both bends if the added area was needed by crossing the river. This allowed maximum protection because you now had back to back and waterfront surrounding protection. Easy access to drinking/cooking water was also available from anywhere in the settlement even if it was now twice as large. "The first urban planners". :grin:

Find a plowed/planted field with ALL those characteristics and you might get into what your mom decribed. Right after a rain is best time. It washes the dust/dirt off somewhat and makes spotting a little easier.

Areas around large volume natural springs are also good.

You probably already knew all that, but if not...hope maybe some of it helps.

P.S. Forgot to mention the planted/plowed field is not only for ease of you spotting surface artifacts....Natives had to plant crops as well. They couldn't live somewhere that didn't have good soil for farming crops. The best soil didn't have to be where they lived but did need to be real close nearby for planting. So if the whole area is traditionally real poor soil, shallow to rock, might not be much there.

Latest posts