Long Range optics

mr.big

for the 338 Lapua,,I thought it was gettin a 5.5-22 Nightforce but rumor has it there is a 12-42 in the works,,I have shot a 36XBR Leupold a right smart and if the conditions arent perfect I hate the things,,question is,,is the 42X top end actually usable,,I think most shooting will be done from 500 to 1000 yards but we plan to test some to maybe 1500 or so,,I would like to see if I could hit a 55 gallon drum at a mile,,but the most shooting will be 500 600 and 1000 yards,,I just dont know about the 42X,,seems a bit much,,but I geuss you can turn it down,,

I hope we get some charts worked out before Thanksgiving

mr.big

redblood said:
I would run like a frenchman from a firecracker from a scope that had a 12x minimum.

understand that this is a special purpose weapon,,that would have secondary weapons backing it up,,or vice versa,for shots at closer ranges,

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I'd think some of the Leupold LR/T scopes could fit the bill nicely. Optics can come down to how much you wanna spend. Schmitt&Bender make some GREAT optics but they are out of my price range. The thought of financing a scope kinda scalds my buddies. I'd like to have one....I just don't want to buy one.

varminthunter

Are you looking for the best at any price or are you on a budget? I was given a Millet 6x25x56 LRS with a 30mm tube, I shoot alot a 500 to 800 yards and this thing is amazing. It's a Mil-Bar reticle w/side focus, I beleive this scope runs in the $400 to $500 price range, and for the money I would buy another if I need one. I have a NF scope, but for the cost difference I don't know if the NF is worth the extra money. Poor Man's opinon!!

megalomaniac

go with the 5.5-22 or the 8-32x Nightforce

I've used the 12-42 Nightforce and it's worthless beyond 30x except in broad daylight. Even in broad daylight, it just isn't that impressive clarity-wise above 30x.

If it's going to be a dedicated long range rig, I'd lean towards the 8-32x56 Mine is actually quite functional on my hunting rig. It doubles as a high quality spotting scope as well. It's wonderful to be able to pick out buttons on deer at 600 yards to avoid a mistake. And yet, it's still completely useful at 200-400 yards right at legal shooting time (just have the rheostat turned almost all the way down on the illuminated reticle).

I also like my 5.5-22x Nightforce. Personally, I don't find it quite as useful in the field because of the weight. (I don't mind the weight on my heavy (14lb plus) LR guns). I almost opted to mount it on my 6.5 WSM, but decided to go with a much lighter 4.5-14x50LR vx III instead. Defintely at a disadvantage when shooting paper at 500 yards plus, but more than adequate for hunting situation.

If you enjoyed the 20x on your leupold when shooting paper, I'd def opt for the 8-32x Nightforce

redblood

mr.big said:
redblood said:
I would run like a frenchman from a firecracker from a scope that had a 12x minimum.

understand that this is a special purpose weapon,,that would have secondary weapons backing it up,,or vice versa,for shots at closer ranges,

What are you going to use it for, just shooting targets or deer?

Sako

I had a 12-42 NXS on a 40x target rifle for several years.... really nice scope but in most cases it is overkill.... and honestly very heavy....

W C

I have a 5.5x22x50 NXS NightForce. Now I want several more of them but I still need to buy groceries too :(

Vortex Viper may be my next scope.

Latest posts