Long Range Hunting Scope

Andy S.

I am trying to help a buddy out so I figured I would turn to you guys for some advice. He has a .270 Weatherby rifle that he primarily uses for field/powerline hunting in TN. He is looking for a good long range hunting scope to put on it for a decent price. Most of his shots with this gun will be 200-500 yards, I know, not so long range is some people's eyes. :) He is currently looking at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA and I was wondering if any of you had any experience with this scope. If so, please provide your feedback. If not, do you recommend a scope of similar build/quality with comparable features in the $400-700 range?

Here is a link to the scope he is thinking about getting. Vortex Viper

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Model70Man

The vortex viper is an excellent scope and has many features that the higher end scopes have. Optically they're good right on par with a VX3 if not better. The viper PST line is nicer IMO.

Kimberman

I would stay with a scope that has a top end no higher than 15x. You don't need more than that on a big game rifle. I really like my Minox ZA5 3-15x42. The rifle it is on is a .243 that I use for deer and varmints. The highest magnification I have on a big game rifle is 12x, which I only use when shooting off of a bench.

TheLBLman

Andy S. said:
He has a .270 Weatherby rifle that he primarily uses for field/powerline hunting in TN. He is looking for a good long range hunting scope to put on it for a decent price. Most of his shots with this gun will be 200-500 yards . . . . . He is currently looking at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA . . . . . If not, do you recommend a scope of similar build/quality with comparable features in the $400-700 range?
First, let me state I'm not an expert long-range shooter, even though I often hunt with equipment very capable of 500-yd shots on deer-sized game. It's just I seldom have much opportunity at what I consider a high-probability and ethical (for me) shot much beyond 200 yards, even when I'm using my bull-barreled .300 Weatherby.

Kimberman said:
I would stay with a scope that has a top end no higher than 15x. . . . . . The highest magnification I have on a big game rifle is 12x, which I only use when shooting off of a bench.
Think those are some wise words from Kimberman, as I believe a common mistake many hunters are making is opting for too much magnification. Have your friend read some of the recent posts made on this forum by Mr. Big, as his talks about shooting his .338 Lupua at over 1,000 yards ---- and note both his remarkable shooting with a 10x magnification, and that he's considering spending much more money than your friend on a new scope, with only 10x magnification --- again, shooting at well over 500 yards.

As long as your friend chooses decent quality optics, he'll likely be pleased, just saying that greater magnification may not be necessary, and may even be more a liability than an asset. Going to take some very good light to use 20x with only a 44mm objective.

That said, my personal "longest range" hunting scope is a Burris Signature 3-12 x 44mm. Next in line be a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 x 40mm. And since a 10x brings a 500-yard deer down to the view of a 50-yard deer, my problem in hitting that deer has little to do with a lack of magnification, more to do with considering other factors, one being my lack of long-range shooting experience. IMO, either of those scopes would be a better choice for your friend than any 6.5-20x scope with a 44mm objective.

In the price range you're talking, that Minox ZA5 3-15x42 sounds like a good choice. But magnification and brand preferences aside, just keep in mind that older deer are often going to be flat out running when they cross a powerline ---- meaning time is of essence, as may be a wide enough field of view to quickly pick up that deer, maybe a large enough objective (relative to the magnification) to allow enough light to see, and maybe getting a shot when he stops for that split second.

Shooting deer and shooting paper targets at 500 yards are two very different things.

TheLBLman

He just needs to read all Mr. Big's posts of the past couple weeks. :)

mr.big said:
I am seriously considering a straight 10X the Sightron with its enhance mil dot reticle and 150 MOA of adjustments is looking good,,as is the Mark 4 Leupold,,

I have shot a little the last few days with a 3.5-10 and at 1000-1200 I dont feel like I need more scope (magnification) . . . .

mr.big

get you a good 12-40X spotting scope and your need for a scope of over 10 X goes away quickly,,

IMO the best 500 yard deer scope going right now is the 3.5-10 Leupold with the B&C reticle,,

zero the scope at 200 and shoot the thing a lot and you can be making 500 yard hits on demand,,but the trick is trigger time,,

I dont care what you have if you aint at one with your load and rifle you will not be a happy hunter,,

AND NEVER PUT AN AO ON A DEER HUNTING SCOPE

280longshot

mr.big said:
get you a good 12-40X spotting scope and your need for a scope of over 10 X goes away quickly,,

IMO the best 500 yard deer scope going right now is the 3.5-10 Leupold with the B&C reticle,,

zero the scope at 200 and shoot the thing a lot and you can be making 500 yard hits on demand,,but the trick is trigger time,,

I dont care what you have if you aint at one with your load and rifle you will not be a happy hunter,,

AND NEVER PUT AN AO ON A DEER HUNTING SCOPE
X2 I have that very scope on my long range deer hunting rifle.

280longshot

In my opinion with all the factors involved in making a long range shot, one key component needed is a very accurate and very quick range finder like a Leica 900 or 1200 along with some already preranged land marks.

mr.big

280longshot said:
In my opinion with all the factors involved in making a long range shot, one key component needed is a very accurate and very quick range finder like a Leica 900 or 1200 along with some already preranged land marks.

Google Earth has all but replaced a rangefinder for me,,if I know where I am going ahead of time I will print off a map and mark ranges to any and all reference points

there is no excuse to be shooting at an unknown distance in this day and age,,

mr.big

DIRTTRAX said:
Mr big, there is a fixed 10x luepold just came up for sale on 24 hour right now.

I have to recover from the 338 Lapua tool and die setup first,,probably be a couple months before I do anything,,

280longshot

mr.big said:
280longshot said:

Google Earth has all but replaced a rangefinder for me,,if I know where I am going ahead of time I will print off a map and mark ranges to any and all reference points

there is no excuse to be shooting at an unknown distance in this day and age,,
I agree , but I was referring to deer hunting in a field, where a deer comes out say maybe 375-450yrds
and you're just not sure what the exact range is. He comes out chasing a doe, runs to the middle of the field and you have no other choice other than to range him with a range finder.

Latest posts